Wed. AM about 7 o’clock. On the computer seeing how my best gal did in the Tuesday primaries the night before. (Tulsi who?)
Cup of coffee and a green rip. Breakfast of champions. All of a sudden. I hear something rumble. WTF? Did some Corona Virus infectee just slam my house with their car? If so why I am feeling my floor ripple?
Nah, Earthquake. Watch everything shake, rattle and roll. By the time I stabilized my television set, the rumbling stopped. Casualty: one bookcase in my hallway and a Bob Marley picture askew.
My first thought? “Wow this place is a mausoleum!” Got the notice from our Dean that the Marriott Library was closing down completely. Went up to a ghostly campus at the U of U to pick up a few things and make sure all the posters and such didn’t crash off my office walls post Magna 5.7 Earthquake.
On the way home, stop at Smith’s grocery. Praise Anu! Toilet paper. Every mope in the store had one roll in their basket.
Lots of items still out of stock. Cold cuts, cheese, bread. Melotonin section wiped out. No isopropyl alcohol. A lot of people out there needing to clean their bongs? Purell and Lysol a distant memory.
Get home to a call from Ebay Hamilton, KRCL’s program director. No station that rules the nation. Could I curate a 3 hour Smile Jamaica episode for upload? Station on lockdown.
“Working” from home, no deejaying, no record shopping (Record Store Day postponed til June. Summer is the low period for cratedigging). Liquor store closed! No Saturday breakfast with my friends at Left Fork Grill.
THIS VIRUS IS PISSING ME OFF
Everyone is moping around like it is the end of the world. I understand why the need for social distance, etc. But I don’t have to like it.
So here is how I intend to fight back
- Not much of a beer drinker anymore, but I’m going to buy a sixer of Corona beer
- Watching Andromeda Strain from 1971
3. Friday 4:20 or as I call it “worship”, will continue with my mates six feet away from each other
4. Gonna cratedig on Saturday just to get out of the house and see who is open
5. Listen to Smile Jamaica, as a listener. 3 hour show called: Putting the Panic in Pandemic 2020. From Stomach Sick to Burial
<Smile Jamaica: March 21, 2020 Putting the Panic in Pandemic; 2 min>
Enjoy this teaser from this week’s podcast:
<Smile Jamaica Reggae Virus Mini Opera; 90 sec.>
- Ethiopians get the Hong Kong Flu
- Susan Cadogan exhibits The Fever
- Jah Lloyd says, no vaccine it will leave an infection. Gonna smoke the main jax – the collie weed
- That unfortunately “ital” choice leads to the Twinkle Brothers Stomach sick
- Alas, Peter Tosh’s Burial
Eat your heart out Frank Zappa and Pete Townshend. Now I ‘n’ I gonna give you 3 hours tomorrow. Gallows humor staves off the doom and gloom
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives March 14, 2020 Annotated Playlist; 1 min. 44 sec.
- Ricky Grant & Augustus Pablo – I Love Jah Rastafari + dub; I Love Jah Rastafari (Message) ’78 JA vinyl
- Sir Coxson Sound – King of Dubb Rock; King of Dubb Rock (Safari) ’75 UK vinyl dub album of the hour
- African Brothers – Mystery of Nature; Want Some Freedom (Easy Star) ’70’s era
- Abassi All-Stars feat. Sis Sanae – Free Jah Dub; Dub Showcase (Universal Egg) 2007 UK militant
- Dennis Bovell – Bettah; Brain Damage (Virgin Front Line) ’81 herbtune
- John Clarke – Good Collie Weed; Visions of John Clarke (Wackies) ’79 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement; over Only Sixteen riddim
- Dub Syndicate – Can’t Take It Easy; 10″ (ON U Sound) ’93 UK mutant dub Gregory Isaacs cover; picture sleeve
- Black Roots – Opportunity; In Session (Makasound) ’83 UK roots group
- Mad Professor – Chillout Zone; Black Liberation Dub vol. 5: Afro-Centric Dub (Ariwa) ’99
- Aisha – Prophecy; High Priestess (Ariwa) ’88 female cover of Faybian Miranda roots
- Dubble – Southside Dub; 10″ (Dub Tunnel) 2012 UK militant steppers instrumental
- Michigan & Smiley – Diseases; Dancehall (Soul Jazz) ’81
- Mighty Diamonds – I Shall Be Releassed; Blowin’ in the Wind (RAS) 2002 Bob Dylan cover
- The Selecter – On My Radio ’91; CD Single (Chrysalis) ’91 rmx/2 Tone ska w/ female vox
- Daweh Congo – Jah Disciple; 10″ (Sip a Cup) 2005 UK militant steppers
- Sister Afreka – Rasta Light Is a Sunshine; 7″ (Jah Life)
- Sister Carol – Get It Straight Africans’ 7″ (Jah Life Time) ’89
- Sister Rasheda – Give Me More Jah Love; 7″
- Sista Ruby – Woman D.J.; 7″ (Freedom Sound International) ’80
- Sister Verna – No Broke No Fight; 7″ (N***** Kojak) ’80
- Bob Andy – Hung Up Dub; Sweet Memories (Nectar) ’76 dub album of the hour
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Super Chick – Roach Killer; Sleeping Bag’s Dancehall Classics (Priority) ’87 US
- Al Campbell – Give the People; Rainy Days (Burning Sounds)
- Clint Eastwood – Blues Night; Sex Education (Greensleeves) ’80 US
- Blues Busters – I Shot the Sheriff; Phillip & Lloyd (Scepter) ’75 US Wailers cover
- Bim Sherman & Akabu – Stop That Train; 12″ (ON U Sound) ’86 UK Keith & Tex cover
Set 6: Wailers Family Tree
Peter Touch & the Wailers – Toughest; The Toughest (Heartbeat/Studio One) ’67
<Song bio – The Toughest>
- Bunny Wailer – Bide Up; Jamaican Singles vol. 1 (Solomonic) ’72
- Judy Mowatt – Concrete Jungle; Black Woman (Shanachie) ’76 Wailers cover
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Lyrical Satirical I; Fy-ah Fy-ah (JAD) ’68 instrumental
- The Revolutionaries – Sensi Dub vol. 1 (Original) ’70’s era dub album of the hour
Set 7: Reggae Virus Mini Opera
- The Ethiopians – Hong Kong Flu; Original Hit Sounds (Trojan) ’69
- Susan Cadogan – Fever; Susan Cadogan (Trojan) ’76 Little Willie John/Peggy Lee cover
- Jah Lloyd – Dispencer; Black Moses (Virgin Front Line) no injection, leaves an infection
- Twinkle Brothers – Stomach Sick; Me No You (Twinkle) ’81
- Peter Tosh – Burial; Remedies For Babylon (bootleg)
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Thievery Corporation – Culture of Fear; Live at the London Roundhouse (ESL) 2017
- Alpha & Omega – Who Am I to Judge; Trample the Eagle and the Dragon and the Bear (Alpha & Omega) 2005 best of UK trance dub w/ female vox
- Singers & Players feat. Prince Far I – Virgin; King Size Dub ON U Sound (Echo Beach) re: Richard Branson of Virgin Records
- Dubblestandart – 51 Dub; Immigration Dub (Collision) 2007 Jah-stria
- Sip a Cup All-Stars – Watch and Peep; 10″ (Sip a Cup) 2005
- Natacha Atlas – I Put on a Spell On You; Best of (Mantra) 2005 Screamin’ Jay Hawkins Middle Eastern cover
Words of Wisdom: