Last show of 2018 before I head out for the Holidays. So nuff Christmas a gwaan. And a lickle Hanukkah stylee for good measure.
<Reggae Christmas at the Nelson Family gathering; 40 sec.>
Ancient Astronaut Theory suggests Santa is an Alien
<Santa: spaceship, Rudolph’s nose – tracking beacon; 36 sec.>
But, in fact I tell you the story about Saint Nicolas from modern day Turkey. Baba Noel (father Christmas)
<Baba Noel; 18 sec.>
I ‘n’ I never know the right mix of Christmas tunes to play. If I don’t play any, listeners call in to complain. If I play too much, listeners call and complain.
Last week I was 0 for 2. I played a take on Handel’s Messiah called the Sensimilla Choir. A woman called in and thought that was blasphemous and I shouldn’t be play songs about drugs.
Then I played Fishbone’s Slick Nick — you devil you! Saint Nick (Baba Noel) gone to seed and wrecked Christmas.
Listener called: That song was the worst and Smile Jamaica keeps getting worse.
So for those naysayers, they want I ‘n’ I to postpone Christmas!
<Mutabaruka – Postpone Christmas; 39 sec.>
So no matter where you fall on the spectrum, I hope you have a great Holiday. I get to take my Mom and Pop shopping for the medicinal mistletoe in Sun City West
<All I want for Ismas….>
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives Annotated Playlist: Jah-cember 15, 2018; 81 sec.
- Steel Pulse – Reggae Fever; Caught You (Island) ’80 UK vinyl
- Black Uhuru w/ Sly & Robbie – Let Us Dub; Brutal Dub (RAS) ’86 DC vinyl dub album of the hour
- Kiddus I – Love Child; Natty & Nice (Rhino) 70’s tune about Jesus
- Akabu – Warrior Queen; Warrior Queen (ON U Sound) ’89 UK female roots group
- Martin Campbell – Iliteracy (sic); Historical Tracks (Channel One UK) ’92 mispelled word on perpose
- Jacob Miller & Ray I – All I Want For Ismas; Natty Christmas (RAS) ’77 herbtune: All I want for Ismas is my collie herb
- Temple Rockers feat. Linval Thompson – The Blessing + Days Long Ago; Festival of Lights (Fresh Roots) 2018 Hanukkah
- The Ethiopians – Let Me Blow My Smoke; Owner Fe De Yard (Heartbeat) ’84 herbtune
- Cornell Campbell – King’s Heart; Natty Dread in a Greenwich Farm (Striker Lee) ’75
- Sister Carol – Santa Claus; 12″ (Grade One)
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica 29+ Years
- Carlene Davis – Ism and Schism; 15 Classic Tracks (Sonic)
- Clint Eastwood & General Saint – Vote For We; Stop That Train (Greensleeves) ’82 UK
- Lucky Dube – False Prophets; Prisoner (Shanachie) ’90 South African
- Freddie McGregor – Irie Christmas; Reggae Christmas From Studio One (Heartbeat/Studio One) ’80
- Joe Ferry – Skalalleujah; Skalellujah (Big Music) ’97 Christmas ska album of the Hour: Handel’s Messiah
- Alton Ellis – Praise Jah It’s Christmas; Christmas Vibes (Studio One)
- UB40 feat. Sister V – V’s Version; Baggariddim (DEP) ’85 female toaster over ‘Version Girl”
- Macka B – Ganja Ladies; Weed a Bun vol. 1 (Charm) 2005 herbtune
- Tyrone Evans & Glen Adams – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen + Joyful Tidings (Clocktower) ’78 Bronx: Christmas hymn
Set 5: Christmas Vinyl Is Vital
- Mutabaruka – Postpone Christmas; High Times All-Star Explosion (Alligator) ’85 Chicago blues label
- Barrington Levy – I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus; Christmas Sting (Thunderbolt) ’81
- Hortense Ellis & Trinity – Santa Is Black; African Christmas (Top Ranking) ’79 Miami
- Johnny Osbourne, Jennifer Lara & the Family Group – Christmas Medley; Christmas Stylee (Studio One) ’80 JA
- The Gaylads – We Three Kings; 7″ (Soul Beat) ’69
<The Magi – 3 Kings; 38 sec.>
- Sugar Minott – Christmas Time; 7″ (Black Roots) ’79
- Iron Phoenix – Natty Dread Christmas; 7″ (Observer) ’78
- Keith Richards – Run Rudolph Run; 7″ (Rolling Stone) ’78 Chuck Berry cover
<Keef does Chuck inna Christmas stylee; 17 sec.>
- Yabby You & the Prophets – Fire; Rough Guide to Dub (Rough Guide) Dub Album of the Hour
Set 7: Wailers Family Tree
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Lively Up Yourself; Wailing Wailers (Studio One) ’71 bonus from first LP
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Trenchtown Rock; Live 1973-1975 (Starbucks) 6/10/75 at the Quiet Knight, Chicago
<The I Three replace Bunny and Peter in the Wailers; 54 sec.>
- Peter Tosh – Burial; Live at My Father’s House (Beat Club) ’78 Roslyn, NY
- Bunny Wailer – Jump Nyahbinghi; Hall of Fame (RAS) ’95 50 Bob songs for his 50th birthday
- John Holt – Spaceman Came Calling; Reggae Christmas (Trojan) ’86
- Thievery Corporation – Lagos Connection; Outernational Sound (ESL) 2004 DC
- Gorillaz – Ghost Train; G Sides (Virgin) 2001
- Lee “Scratch” Perry & Sandra Robinson – Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday (Trojan) ’86 UK
- Aswad – Roxanne; Big Up (Mesa) ’97 Police cover