<Happy Father’s Day; 37 sec.>
Happy Father’s Day to my Pops, Bob and all Father’s including the Heavenly Father – HIM.
In March I helped my folks become Snowbirds on a grueling drive from Salt Lake City to Phoenix. I drove because my Pops has some back issues from a lifetime of selling insurance on the road and golfing.
The whole way he was trying to shake the bee stings out of his fingers. Sure enough. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
So I joked on air while my Pops heals he has to drink Busch Lite with his left hand for a while.
So I start off this Ark-Ive of Smile Jamaica with a killer jam by Charlie Ace Father and Dreadlocks. The story of a Parson’s son who leaves for college in a Three Piece Suit and returns home a Rastaman in humble dungarees and sandals. When his Mom nearly drops down dead, Charlie sings out, “the power of Jah is moving on!”
Father and Dread Locks – Charlie Ace (lyrics transcribed by Robert Nelson)
- Hail Daddy-man!
- Wha’ppen when him come for the Holidays
- Yes-I! Whap’n rate up a draw of herb fi I place y’know!
- Son – who dat? No Parson’s son turn Rastaman!
- Yes-I! Man sight the fullness y’know?
- Parson send him one son fi (to) college for the study of religious knowledge
- Some day the boy decides to come home for Holiday
- But when he enter him home something strange happen
- He wasn’t wearing slicker suit
- He wasn’t wearing big heel boots
- He was wearing dungarees and sandals
- And when he moved his tam from his head
- Parson frightened til him was drop down dead
- When him natty dreadlocks drop to the ground
- So, his Dad looked at him and said:
- My son, my son what comes over you? What happened?
- You pass your GCE and sit upon University. What happened?
- I work morning, noon and night to get you there. What happened?
- He said, Daddy you don’t understand like I do
- But Jah has called upon I
- I have sight of the Promised Land
- Daddy, I know the way you feel but one day you will understand
- My son, what is the plan for the future?
- He said: Daddy, I plan to use my education to defend human rights, equality and justice throughout the Universe
- This time the Mother is in the kitchen cooking the best dressed chicken
- So she run when she realize her one son was home to greet her one son
- When she sight Natty Dreadlocks she nearly drop down dead
- She said: My son, my son. What are we going to tell the people of the neighborhood?
- He said: Mom, tell them that the power of Jah is moving on-ya!
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Annotated Playlist – June 18, 2016; 36. sec.
- Heptones – Cool Rasta; Trojan Story (Trojan) ’77 3LP UK box set vinyl
- Natural Roots – Concrete Tower Dub; Natural Roots (Only Roots) ’84 Fr. vinyl: Dub Album of the Hour
- Charlie Ace & Scorcher – Father and Dread Locks; Studio One DJ’s 2 (Soul Jazz) Happy Father’s Day
<Story of a parson’s son who returns a Rasta; 25 sec.>
- Sound Dimension – Version; 7” (Studio One) Dub to above. Throw Mi Corn riddim
- Aisha – Gunman; True Roots (Ariwa) ’94 Mad Professor prod’n
- Toots & the Maytals – Take Me Home Country Roads; Trojan Story (Trojan) ’74 John Denver cover
- Alpha & Omega feat. Gregory Isaacs – Bush Ganja; Legend of A & O (Dopic) 2006 best of UK trance dub; 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Horace Andy – Satisfy Me; 10” (Channel One) ’83 UK
- Bunny Wailer – Rise & Shine; Retrospective (Shanachie) ‘81
- Jean Binta Breeze – Dubwise + Confusion; LKJ Presents (LKJ) ’96 female dub poet
- Lloyd Brevett & the Skatalites – African Roots; African Roots (Moon Ska) ’76 reunion – instrumental with flute
- Black Uhuru – Sorry For the Man; 10” (Jammy$) ‘77
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica – 26+ Years
- Linval Thompson – I Love Marijuana; I Love Marijuana (Trojan) ’78 herbtune
- I Roy – Catty Rock; Heart of a Lion (Virgin Front Line) ’78 update of U Roy’s What Is Catty
- Bad Manners – Lip Up Fatty; Dance Craze (Soundtrack) (2 Tone) ’80 live – best of British 2 Tone ska
- Bim Sherman – It Must Be a Dream; Meets Horace Andy & U Black in a Rub a Dub Style (Original) ‘78
- Gregory Isaacs – Night Nurse; Reggae Pulse 3 – Love Songs (RAS) ‘82
- Selecter – Deep Water; Celebrate the Bullet (Chrysalis/2 Tone) ’82: UK 2 Tone ska w/ Pauline Black on the vox
- Scientist – Jab; Heavyweight Champion (Greensleeves) ’80; Dub Album of the Hour
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Rita Marley & the I Three – Bellyful; Reggae Sunspalsh ’81 – Tribute to Bob Marley (Elektra) ’81 live
- Tristan Palma – Joker Smoker; Joker Smoker (Greensleeves) ’82 herbtune
- Crucial Bee – Mark of the Beast; Just a Sting (All-Star) US Virgin Islands singer
- Lee “Scratch” Perry – Bafflin’ Smoke Signal; Voodoodism (Anachron) ’78 about the Pope’s election
<Electing the Pope and the Bafflin’ Smoke Signal; 57 sec.>
- Peter Tosh – No Nuclear War (Single Mix); No Nuclear War (EMI America) ‘87
- 15 16 17 – Girls Imagination; Magic Touch (DEB) ’78 two sisters and a cousin over Smokey Robinson
- Tapper Zukie – Chalice to Chalice; MPLA (Virgin Front Line) ’78 herbtune
- Don Carlos – Dice Cup; 12” (Hitbound) ‘82
- Dan-I & King Kietu – Pope Dub; Rastafari Judgment Fire (Imperial Roots) 2009 Italian dub album of the hourt
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Want More (Unreleased Alternate Mix); Rastaman Vibration (Deluxe Edition) (Tuff Gong) ’76 bonus
- John Holt & Tommy McCook – Stealing, Stealing; Greater Jamaica – Moonwalk Reggae (Treasure Isle) ‘69
<Studio One and Treasure Isle – Jamaican Rock Steady stalwarts; 10 sec.>
- Sister Rasheda – Jah Is Love; 10” (Jah Warrior) 2006
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- 2 Bad Card – Rome; Weed Specialist CD Single (ON U Sound) ’95 UK
- Onejiru feat. Turtle Bay Country Club & Mike Brooks – Foolish People; King Size Dub Chapter 10 (Echo Beach) 2003
- Willi Williams & Joseph Cotton – See Mi Yah; See Mi Yah (Rhythm & Sound) 2005 Germany
- Orange Blossom – Maldito; Everything Must Change (Bonsai) 2004 Fr. with female Arabic vox
- Transglobal Underground – Good Luck Mr. Gorsky; Psychic Karaoke (Nation) ’96 UFO-ria tune
Words of Wisdom