<Poor immigrant; 16 secs>
Smile Jamaica is a Roots Reggae radio program. Other than the Mutant Dub I spin in the last half hour, I would venture that 80% plus of what I have played for nearly 30 years comes from around 1970-1985. The Wailers, Burning Spear, Culture and their Rasta co-horts.
So much great heartical music about peace and love, socialism (small s), the plight of the poor and the 400 year legacy of slavery in Jamaica.
Songs from that era chanting down Babylon. Still have resonance and prophecy today. So when the outrage of immigrant children in cages hit the news cycle, I knew the perfect song to play.
On community radio Deejays are not allowed to espouse political support for any cause, candidate or party. I don’t need to do that. I can let the music do the talking.
Jimmy Riley – Have mercy upon poor immigrants. When Occupy Wall Street went hot, it was so easy and enjoyable to string a whole 3 hour Ark-ive backing the 99%ers.
That is why Reggae music from 40 plus years ago still has relevance. The Dreads and Dawtas warned us it would come to this. That is why you should listen to Smile Jamaica and ignore the Fake News Media
Smile Jamaica Annotated Playlist: June 23, 2018; 52 sec.
- Jimmy Riley – Summer Time; 12″ (DEB) 70’s cover of Porgy & Bess Broadway tune
- Jimmy Riley – Poor Immigrant; Put the People First (Shanachie) ’82
- Black Uhuru – Chill Out; Liberation Anthology (Island) 2 disk best of ’83
- Gladiators – Dub ina Babylon; Singles Collection (Heartbeat/Studio One)
- Gracy & Herbman Band – Forward Up; See Mi Yah (Funfundvierzig) ’91 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement; female singer
<Canada legalizes cannabis; 12 sec.>
- Eek a Mouse – Wild Like Tiger; 10″ (Hit Bound) ’83 JA
- Crystalites – Rasta Is Love; Scrub a Dub (Crystal) ’74 JA vinyl dub album of the Hour
- Bunny Wailer – Wake Up and Live; Hall of Fame (RAS) ’95; 50 Bob covers
- Belle Stars – Miss World; 80’s Romance (Salvo) ’81 UK New Wave female group
- Daweh Congo – Herb Tree; Human Rights & Justice (Roots & Culture) 2000 herb tune
- Bim Sherman & Yabby Youth – Happiness; 12″ (Jah Shaka) ’83 UK
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica 28+ Years
- Alpha Blondy & the Wailers – Jerusalem; Jerusalem (Shanachie) ’86 Best of Smile Jamaica 28+ Years
- Carlene Davis – The Harder They Come; Reggae Sunsplash ’81 – Tribute to Bob Marley; Jimmy Cliff cover
- Linval Thompson – Starlight; I Love Marijuana (Trojan) ’78 UFOria
- Aswad – Babylon; Showcase (Mango) ’81 UK dub mixes
- Black Disciples – The Ghost; Garvey’s Ghost (Mango) ’76 Dub Album of the Hour (Burning Spear Marcus Garvey)
- Ayo – Get Out of My Way; Gravity at Last (Wrasse) 2008 Nigerian-German soul/reggae
- Prince Alla – Bosrah; I Can Hear the Children Singing (Blood & Fire) ’76 from the Bible Isaiah 63:1
<random Bible verse in the hotel room’s Gideon Bible waiting for my Sister to get married; 39 sec. >
- Toyan – Tracks and Socks; 10″ (Jah Bible) ’79 over Sammy Dread’s Miserable Woman
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Peter Tosh – Don’t Look Back; Dealing With the Shytstem (bootleg) 11/5/82 Temptations cover; Vinyl is Vital Set
- Singers & Players feat. Prince Far I – Water the Garden; Revenge of the Underdog (ON U Sound) ’81 UK
- Lee “Scratch” Perry – Satan Kicked the Bucket; Satan Kicked the Bucket (Wackie’s) ’88 US
- Jah Lloyd the Black Lion – St. Ann’s Collie; The Humble One (Virgin Front Line) ’78 UK herbtune
- Millie Small – My Boy Lollipop; (Smash) ’64 US
Set 6: Jamaican Jukebox 7″ 45’s
- Sheila Hylton – Natural Misty; 7″ (Studio One) ’81 Natural Mystic cover
- Jimmy Burke – Be Like a Star; 7″ (Reggae Bee) ’75 UK
- Benjamin Zephaniah – Riot in Progress; Dub Ranting 7″ EP (Radical Wallpaper) ’81 UK dub poet, picture sleeve
- Inner Rose – Rise Up; 7″ (Inner Rose) 2012 Fr.
- Hughie Izachaar – Ganja Smuggler; 7″ (Reggae on Top) ’99 UK herbtune
- Lightman – Meanwhile in the City; Spring Time (Semi Sounds) 2004 Dub Album of the Hour (Finland)
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Lonesome Feeling; Wailing Wailers (Studio One) ’65 JA vinyl
<Wailers 1st LP in 1965; 55 sec.>
- Aisha – Coke Ain’t No Joke; There s More to Life (Ariwa) ’95
- Fred Locks – Rastafari Rule; The Missing Link (VP) 2000
- Junior byles – Fun and Games (Take Two); Curly Locks (Heartbeat) rare early 70’s Lee “Scratch” Perry prod’n
- Junior Murvin & Chris Jay – Wise Man; 10″ (Dubwise) ’98 UK
Set 8: Mutant Dubstresses
- Thievery Corporation feat. LouLou Ghelchknai- Time + Space; Temple of I & I (ESL) 2015 Mutant Dubstress Set
- Deepchild eat. Andy B – Racist Friend; King Size Dub Chapter 69 (Echo Beach) 2009 Germ. Special AKA cover
- Flying Lotus feat. Dolly – Roberta Flack; Man Machine (Mojo) 2009
- Soom T – Jungle of Peace; Ode to a Carrot (Jahtari) 2008 Glaswegian weed stepper
- Natacha Atlas – Duden; Essential Lounge: Bombay (UBL) 2006 UK
- Afro-Mystik – Momentary Visions; Morphology (OM) 2003 US