And Happy New Year from Smile Jamaica.
A Mutant Dub New Year. For over a decade now, I have been starting the year with the outer fringes of Reggae music that you hear I ‘n’ I play for centuries at the last half hour of Smile Jamaica.
<What is Mutant Dub?; 34 sec.>
Mutant Dub definition: Take Reggae drum and bass, attach it to modern electro/dance/post pop textures. Apply copious echo and special effects.
Epitomized by the Holy Trinity of producers: Adrian Sherwood/ON U Sound; Jah Shaka and the Mad Professor
My bredrin/mentor, Rutabaga Reese – previous Smile Jamaica host, turned me onto this style of dub as I ‘n’ I was absorbing my Roots Reggae knowledge.
Moody, atmospheric, modernesque. Some orthodox Reggae heads hate it*. But I ‘n’ I love it. If you do a Google search on Mutant Dub. Smile Jamaica is what pops up first!
The highest rated show in the podcast history of Smile Jamaica, circa 2013, is my Mutant Dub 420 showcase.
*I used to get angry calls “quit playing that techno crap.” Not anymore!
Even KRCL station manager, Tristin Tabish, is a Mutant…
<KRCL management loves Mutant Dub; 3 sec.>
Since nothing is static after doing radio for 30 plus years, after I was retired from political interviews on KRCL’s Radioactive, I ‘n’ I switched to Ancient Aliens on History Channel.
Giorgio and von Daniken’s Sumerian Skygods/Ancient Astronauts combined my Mesopotamian ancestry to outer space.
So I ‘n’ I do what I ‘n’ I always does. Start combing the Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives for Alien Reggae and Dub songs. I ‘n’ I don’t have a single Mutant Dub Christmas tune, but found nearly 200 UFOria (UFO’s + euphoria = UFOria).
So, for Mutant Dub New Year, I switch up the traditional last half hour to UFO tunes.
Two stories. One ancient. One modern
The Epic of Gilgamesh – The story of a man seeking immortality. Comes across the original “Noah” plagiarized from the Bible. Utnapishtim was tasked by Enki, a major Skygod of the Anunnaki (Sumerian sky gods, “those who came from the sky”).
Enki’s brother Enlil was disgusted that the humans they created to mine gold on behalf of the Anunna (singular of Anunnaki) were instead having sex with Earth women.
Anu, the Bob Marley of the Anunnaki, agreed to wipe out the human experiment with a flood. But Enki took pity. He worked with a dread named Utnapishtim. Enki told him to gather up his family along with a DNA seedbank of animals and plants.
The Skygod loaned him a spaceship called a tesseract. A cube shaped ship that orbited Earth for 500 years. When the flood waters receded, Utnapishtim returned to the planet to start anew.
Gilgamesh sought out Utnapishtim who gave him the root of immortality. Gil, going through the trials and tribulations of his Epic, was exhausted and satisfied that he had been successful in his quest. Everlasting life.
So, the now God in his own right, lay by the side of the road for a well deserved nap. Alas, a snake slithered out of the reeds and stole his root of immortality. Gilgamesh died a mortal man.
<Epic of Gilgamesh; 76 sec.>
Neil Armstrong story.
Neil Armstrong. First man on the moon. We have all heard the famous sound clip as he touches down on the lunar surface.
“This is one small step for man. And one giant leap for mankind.”
Fake news. That was the SECOND thing he said on the “comm” to NASA
When Armstrong was a youth, he was playing catch with his brother in the yard. As happens, the ball went across the fence into the neighbor’s yard. Neil went to fetch it back.
Hot summer afternoon. The neighbors, a family named Gorsky, were having a little “afternoon delight”. Neil, curious, listened in on the pillow talk.
He heard Mr. Gorsky ask his wife for oral sex. She guffawed, “I’ll give you oral sex when the Armstrong kid next door walks on the moon.”
So wheel it forward to July 20, 1969. As Neil touched down on the moon’s surface his actual first words were. “Good luck Mr. Gorsky!”
<Good luck Mr. Gorsky! 42 sec.>
And I ‘n’ I don’t have time for the story of how Neil Armstrong became a Muslim. Or how the Apollo 11 moonlanding was a Stanley Kubrick production.
As I ‘n’ I always say: “Look to the skies! Do not scoff!
Mutant Dub New Year Annotated Playlist: Jah-nuary 4, 2020
- African Princess – Jah Chilren Cry; Hits From the House of Shaka (Jah Shaka)
- The Vision – Dub Start; Dub Vision (Funfundvierzig) ’88 Germ. green vinyl: dub album of the hour
- Dr. Israel – Jacob’s Ladder; Inna City Pressure (ROIR) 2005
- Dubmatix – Soul Dread Dub; Renegade Rocker (7 Arts) 2008 Can.
- Badmarsh & Shri – Signs; Signs (Outcaste) 2001 UK East Indian dub cover of Tenor Saw
- Ruben da Silva – Sensi Skank; 12″ (Reggae Roast) 2011 UK 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Gary Clail – Two Thieves and a Liar; End of the Century Party (ON U Sound) ’90 UK
- Afro Omega – Know My Name; Pick Up the Pieces EP (Afro Omega) 2006 SLC w/ female vox
- Dubphonic – All You Weed is Love; Relight (Hammerbass) 2009 Fr.
- Undivided Roots – Move Up; 10″ (Well Crucial) ’82 UK picture sleeve
- Claude Fontaine – Little Sister; Claude Fontaine 2019 Fr. female
- African Head Charge – Rastaman; Sankofa (Bonjo I) ’97 recorded in Ghana
- The Lions – Ethio-Steppers; Jungle Struttin’ (Ubiquity) 2008 LA
- Bim Sherman – The Dream; 12″ (Mr. Modo) ’89 UK
- Alien Dread – Dubnology; Cosmic Dub Clash (Log Out ) 2007 dub album of the hour
- Easy Star All-Stars – Speak to Me/Breathe in the Air; Dub Side of the Moon (Easy Star) 2003
- Manasseh Meets the Equalizer – Shining; Shining (Acid Jazz) ’96 Bob Marley Sun is Shining cover
- Hollie Cook – Far From Me; Vessel of Love (Merge) 2018 UK dawta
- Singers & Players feat. Mikey Dread – Autobiography; 10″ (ON U Sound) ’83 UK picture sleeve
Set 5: Mutant Dub Vinyl
- Dub Syndicate – Boof Um Baff; Strike the Balance (ON U Sound) ’89 UK
- London Underground – Between the Lines; Current Affairs Session (ON U Sound) ’83 UK
- Sheriff Lindo – Dub House of Horrors; Ten Dubs That Shook the World (Endless) ’88 Australia
- Singers & Players feat. Sister P – Holy Scripture (ON U Sound) ’89 UK
- The Clash – Mustapha Dance; 12″ (Epic) ’82 US picture sleeve (dub to Rock the Casbah)
- Thievery Corporation – Sound the Alarm; Radio Retaliation (ESL) DC dubbers
- Aswad – Roxanne; Bigt Up (Gut) ’97 Police cover
- Likkle Mai – (Japanese lyrics); Roots Candy (Beat) 2005 Jah-ponese dawta
- Lee “Scratch” Perry – Makumba Rock; 10″ (ON U Sound) 2019 picture sleeve
- Karsh Kale – Spirits in the Material World; Backspin (Six Degrees) East Indian cover of The Police
- Alpha & Omega – Night and Day; Dub Magic (Zion Gate) 2001 UK trance dub w/ female vox
- Ticklah vs. Axelrod – Answer Me; Ticklah vs. Axelrod (Easy Star) 2007
- Suns of Arqa feat. Prince Far I – G.D. Magick; 12″ EP (Antler) ’83 UK picture sleeve
- Creation Rebel/New Age Steppers – Chemical Specialist (Cherry Red) ’81 ON U dub album of the hour
Set 8: UFOria
- Systemwide – Gilgamesh; Live at the Jazz Festival de Montreal (BSI) 2002
- Word Sound I Powa – Intro; Live From Planet Crooklyn (WordSound) ’96
- Transglobal Underground feat. Natacha Atlas – Mr. Gorsky; Psychotic Karaoke (Nation) ’96 about Neil Armstrong
- Disrupt – Asteroid Dub Force; Jahtarian Dubbers vol. 3 (Jahtari) 2012
- Tena Stelin – UFO + Unidentified Flying Dub; Lion Symbol (Jah Warrior) ’99