<World War III – soon come? 54 sec.>
My first semester at college – Montana State, Fall 1983:
- Soviet Union shot down a Korean jet liner
- Beirut bombing of US army barracks killing hundreds
- America invaded Grenada
It looked like the Cold War was getting “thawed”. Yet, by the time I graduated from the University of Utah in 1989, the wall had fallen and the Cold War was over.
Not so fast….
Wheel it forward to 2016. Trump defeats Hillary. How could that have happened? Let’s blame the Russians. Add in Syria and Ukraine, the recent aggressive update of our Nuclear Response Review. And 1 Trillion in nuclear “improvements.” Mueller’s investigation and innuendo against Russian “hacking”.
Rachel Maddow might call me Ivan, but the reality is:
Russia, no longer the Soviet Union, is feeling the strain of a new Cold War. Their incumbent President, Vladimir Putin, has an election of his own next week. His State of the Nation was a warning to America and its allies.
I no longer do Radioactive political interviews on KRCL but I still follow the news. I am worried a confrontation in the Syrian Panhandle could lead to World War III.
Of course, my antennae is attuned to Reggae as prophecy. I played a Justin Hinds song on this Smile Jamaica Ark-Ive edition that brought me right back to Sept. 1983.
So until the bombs drop, enjoy this March edition of Smile Jamaica. Forward ever, backwards never. War Time is over!
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: March , 2018 Annotated Playlist; 100 sec.
- Devon Russell – Homebound Train; High Times All-Star Explosion (Alligator) ’85 vinyl Chicago blues label
- Scientist – Hail HIM Dub; High Priest of Dub (Tamoki Wambesi) ’82 UK vinyl dub album of the hour
- Mikey Dread – Positive Reality; SWALK (Heartbeat) ’82
- Cassandra – Thank You For the Many Things You’ve Done; Babylon Soundtrack (EMI) ’80 UK
- Dennis Brown – If I Had the World; Reggae Sunsplash ’81 – Tribute to Bob Marley (Elektra) Aug. 1981, Jarrett Park Montego Bay, JA
- Jah T – Lick the Pipe Peter; Jr. Byles – Curly Locks (Heartbeat) ’75 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement; dj to “Fever” riddim
- Bushman & Alton Ellis – Back Weh Vampire + Jah Make Me Stronger; 10″ (Sting Ray) 2012 UK
- Bunny Wailer – Roots Rock Reggae; Hall of Fame (RAS) ’95 dubble disk of Bob Marley cover
- The Emotions – There Are More Questions Than Answers; Complete Stax/Volt Soul Singles (Stax) ’74 female soul group in Jamaica
- Eric Donaldson – Drug Addict; Oh What a Feeling (Rhino UK) ’97
- Dub Syndicate – ’93 Struggle; 10″ (ON U Sound) ’93 UK Mutant Dub picture sleeve. Prince Far I cover
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica 28+ Years
- Judy Mowatt – Screwface; Sing Our Own Song (Shanachie) ’86 Bob Marley cover
<Don’t give me your Screwface; 12 sec.>
- Keith Hudson – Bloody Eyes; Rasta Communication (Greensleeves) ’78
- Gideon Jah Rubbaal – Free Us Now; Free Us Now (ACL) ’77
- Justin Hinds – War Time + Dub; Know Jah Better (Nighthawk) ’90
- Mad Professor – Black Heroes; Afrocentric Dub – Black Liberation Dub Chapter 5 (Ariwa) ’99 UK Dub Album of the Hour
Set 4: 7″ Jamaican Jukebox – Tributes to Bob Marley
<Extending Black History Month w/ Bob tributes; 37 sec.>
- Prince Ital Joe – I Miss Bob Marley; 7″ (Royal Safari) Hollywood, CA
- Lone Ranger – Tribute to Bob Marley; 7″ (Studio One)
- Errol Scorcher – Sounds of Hon. Marley (Dance Hall) ’81
- Lui Lepke – Tribute to Bob Marley; 7″ (Joe Gibbs Ultra Sound) ’81
- Stevie Wonder – Master Blaster (Jammin) (Dub); 7″ (Motown) ’80
Set 5: Vinyl Is Vital
- Eugene Paul – Blowin’ in the Wind; Sentimental Reasons (World) ’84 UK Bob Dylan cover:
- Mighty Invaders – Evil Spirits; Invasion! (Rave) ’83 Syracuse, NY
- Ranking Joe – One Draw; Rebel DJ (Jam Rock) ’82 Miami herbtune dj to Doret Myers cover of Rita Marley
- Singers & Players feat. Prince Far I – Thing Called Love (Don’t Fight); Revenge of the Underdog (ON U Sound) ’82 UK Mutant Dub
- Marcia Griffiths – Everywhere; Marcia (RAS) ’89 DC Fleetwood Mac cover
Set 6: Rockers do Reggae
- Bob Dylan – Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door; No More Trouble (Columbia) 6/27/81 London
<Bob Dylan – The Christian Era: 1979-1981; 87 sec.>
- Eric Clapton – Swing Low Swing Chariot; Timepieces (RSO) ’82 Best of; Negro Spiritual
- Prince Flo & Jah Edward – Happy Together; Rock Steady With Flo and Eddie (Epiphany) ’87
- Bananarama – Tell Tale Signs; Deep Sea Skiving (London) ’83 UK female trio New Wave
- UB40 – Present Arms in Dub; Present Arms in Dub (DEP) ’81 Dub Album of the Hour
- Chris Hinze feat. Peter Tosh – Puss and Dog; Kings of Reggae (Keytone) ’83 Dutch jazz flautist w/ Peter’s band – Word, Sound and Power
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Jamming; Exodus 40 (Tuff Gong) Live in London – June 1977
- Ayo – Down on My Knees; Ayo (Wrasse) 2008 Nigerian-German female singer
- Max Romeo & Dennis Brown – African + I am the Conqueror; 10″ (Observer Gold) ’75
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Thievery Corporation – Passing Stars; It Takes a Thief (ESL) 2010 DC dubbers best of: Mutant Dub Set
- Alpha & Omega – Moving Out of Babylon Dub; Legend of A & O (Dopic) 2006 UK trance dub
- Bush Chemists – This Souond; Dub Fire Blazing (Dubhead) ’99 UK herbtune
- Heavyweight Dub Champion – We Will Conquer; Rise of the Champion Nation (Champion Nation) 2009 Dub-hop out of Boulder, CO
- Little Annie – Going For Gold; 10″ (ON U Sound)
- Samia Farah – Personne; Many Moods of Samia Farah (SAM) 2008 Fr.Tunisian female