And Happy Father’s Day to my Pops in Fort Benton Montana; 50 sec.
My Pops is pretty much the typical Dad. Stoic and serious but prone to the usual tried and true way of American Child Rearing:
<Do as I say. Not as I do! 17 sec.>
Love the guy.
So I spent last Saturday in the Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives harvesting Father’s Day tunes Had enough for 2 and 1/2 hour. (More Mother’s Day for some reason? Considering Jah the Father, that was surprising.)
All time favorite Father’s Day song is one that still brings a tear to my eye. Charlie Ace – Father and Dreadlocks
<Preacher’s son goes to college, returns a Rastaman 76 sec.>
Father and Dread Locks – Charlie Ace (lyrics transcribed by Bobbylon)
- Hail Daddy-man!
- Wha’ppen when him come for the Holidays
- Yes-I! Whap’n rate up a draw of herb fi I place y’know!
- Son – who dat? No Parson’s son turn Rastaman!
- Yes-I! Man sight the fullness y’know?
- Parson send him one son fi (to) college for the study of religious knowledge
- Some day the boy decides to come home for Holiday
- But when he enter him home something strange happen
- He wasn’t wearing slicker suit
- He wasn’t wearing big heel boots
- He was wearing dungarees and sandals
- And when he moved his tam from his head
- Parson frightened til him was drop down dead
- When him natty dreadlocks drop to the ground
- So, his Dad looked at him and said:
- My son, my son what comes over you? What happened?
- You pass your GCE and sit upon University. What happened?
- I work morning, noon and night to get you there. What happened?
- He said, Daddy you don’t understand like I do
- But Jah has called upon I
- I have sight of the Promised Land
- Daddy, I know the way you feel but one day you will understand
- My son, what is the plan for the future?
- He said: Daddy, I plan to use my education to defend human rights, equality and justice throughout the Universe
- This time the Mother is in the kitchen cooking the best dressed chicken
- So she run when she realize her one son was home to greet her one son
- When she sight Natty Dreadlocks she nearly drop down dead
- She said: My son, my son. What are we going to tell the people of the neighborhood?
- He said: Mom, tell them that the power of Jah is moving on-ya!
The power of Jah is moving on indeed. Enjoy these tributes to the Dads with some Aliencon UFOria in the last half hour
<Aliencon plus Smile Jamaica UFOria in July for Roswell; 1 min. 40 sec.>
Smile Jamaica Annotated Playlist: June 16, 2018; 106 sec.
- Prince Alla – In My Father’s House; Evil Forces (Calabash) ’84
<John 14:2; 9 sec.>
- Miami vinyl: Happy Father’s Day: John 14:2 In my father’s house there are many mansions
- King Tubby – Many Moods of the King; I Am the King 3 (Sprint) Dub Album of the Hour
- Charlie Ace & Scorcher – Father and Dread Locks; 7” (Studio One) JA
- David Isaacs – Good Father; Complete UK Upsetter Singles Collection vol. 1 (Trojan) ‘69
- Yellowman & Fathead – Baby Father; The Yellow, The Purple and The Nancy (Greensleeves) ’82 UK
- Errol Dunkley – Created By the Father; Darling Ooh (Attack) ‘72
- Israel Vibration – Universal Father; Why You So Craven (Arrival) ’81 JA vinyl
- Alton Ellis – Papa; 7” (Clintones) ’75 US
- Ky-Mani Marley – Dear Dad; CD Single (Gee Street) ’98, Bob’s son
<Ky-Mani born 1976, Bob passed May 1981; 28 sec.>
- Gregory Isaacs – Created By the Father; Cool Ruler (Virgin Front Line) ’78 UK vinyl
- Simple Simon – Obey Your Mother & Father; Reggae Move (Vista Sounds) ’85 UK
- Desmond Dekker – Honor Your Father & Mother; Israelites (Trojan) ska
- Dillinger – Daddy Joseph; 12” (A & M) ’81 US Biblical Prophet Joseph
- Black Roots – The Father; On the Frontline (Makasound) ‘83
- Freddy McKay – Father Will Cut You Off; 7” (Money Disc) ‘83
- Capital Letters – Daddy is No Murderer; Headline News (Greensleeves) ’79 UK youth group w/ male & female vox
- Cedric ‘Im Brooks – Song For My Father; Light of Saba (Honest Jon’s) ’75 horns instrumental
- Scientist – 11 Guava Road Dub; King of Dub (Kingdom) ’81 Dub Album of the Hour
- Derrick Morgan – Don’t Call Me Daddy; The Legend of Derrick Morgan (Imperial) ’80 Can. – Chinese baby to a dreadlock
- Johnny Clarke – Don’t Call I Daddy; Don’t Trouble Trouble (Attack) ’75; cover of Derrick Morgan
- Mighty Maytones – Father & Mother; Madness (Burning Sounds) ’76 UK
- Big Youth – Mommy Hot, Daddy Cool; Reggae Phenomenon (Trojan) ’75 to Some Like It Hot
- Dennis Brown – Created by the Father; Best of – The Niney Years (Heartbeat) ‘79
- Jackie Mittoo – Dad Is Home; Macka Fat (Studio One) ’71 organ take on Shep & the Limelites Daddy’s Home doowoop
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Ras Michael & the Sons of Negus – Don’t Sell Daddy No Whiskey; Love Thy Neighbour (Jah Life) ’79 Brooklyn; Black Ark/Lee “Scratch” Perry mix
- Michigan & Smiley – Sugar Daddy; Sugar Daddy (RAS) ’83 DC
- Linval Thompson – Baby Father; Baby Father (Greensleeves) ’82 UK
- Winston Reedy – Message to Father; Dim the Lights (Inner Light) ’83 UK
- Don Carlos – Ababa John I (Father Majesty); Spread Out (Burning Sounds) ’83 UK
- The Pioneers – Papa Was a Rolling Stone; The Best of (Trojan) ’77 Temptations cover
- Big Youth – Papa Was a Rolling Stone; Reggae Phenomenon (Trojan) ’77 Temptations cover
- African Brothers – Lead Us Father; Want Some Freedom (Easy Star) ‘74
- African Head Charge – Healing Father; Songs of Praise (ON U Sound) ’81 UK mutant dub
- Bunny Wailer – Rockers; In I Father’s House (Solomonic) ’80 JA
- Prince Jammy – Conspiracy on Neptune; Destroys the Invaders (Greensleeves) ’82 UK UFO vinyl dub album of the hour
- The Maytals – Daddy; Sensational Ska Explosion (Dynamic) ’65 ballad
- White Mice – Love Mom and Dad; White Nice (Basic Replay) mid 80s youth singer
- Fred Locks – Moving With the Father; Culturally (Tan-Yah) ‘95
- R. Zee Jackson – Come Now Father; 10” (Sip a Cup) 2005 UK
Set 8: UFOria
- Anubian Lights – Starvox; Outflight EP (Crippled Dick Hot Wax) 2001: UFOria set
- Word Sound I Powa – Intro; Live at Planet Crooklyn (Wordsound) ’96 Aliens looking for weed in Brooklyn
- UFO feat. DeeDee Bridgewater – Flying Saucer; Saint Germain des Pres IV (Wagram) 2004
- Nicky Thomas – Moonwalk; Love of the Common People (Trojan) ‘71
- Subway – Satellites; Soul Jazz Records 2006-2007 (Soul Jazz) 2007 dubstep
- Tena Stelin – Cosmic Session; 10” (Roots Hi-Tek) 2006 UK
Ancient Aliens drinking game: