<Cratedigging in Denver; 79 sec.>
To “rinse out” is a deejay term commonly used to showcase a fresh stash of vinyl on your sound system or deejay gig.
I ‘n’ I use it on this edition of Smile Jamaica as a way to juggle the Reggae vinyl I recently purchased while on vacation in Denver.
Bobbylon’s Guide to Cratedigging
- Plan your record (and book and dispensary) shopping before you leave the house. I tend to go neighborhood by neighborhood to minimize transit time. Yelp, Yellowpages online, Google.
- Upload my discographies to Google Drive or Dropbox so I know what I have and don’t buy duplicates
- Print out my wishlist of items I’m looking for
- Load up on coffee and green smoke for the excursion. Cratedigging on the Seven Leaf is one of life’s great pleasures
- Comb through the racks: I start with Rock and Blues. Spend time on Soul and Jazz. Mutant Dub gets the second most time “digging”: Techno, electronic, lounge. Then Reggae CDs (many of them I already have.)
- Spend the bulk of time in the Reggae Vinyl section.
- Mention I’m a Radio Deejay and try and score 10% off
- Take my trusty Burning Spear record bag to keep everything together
- Never leave vinyl in the car during warm months.
- Always put your stash in the trunk to deter break ins
- At the end of the day sift and sort my haul
And that is how you Cratedig!
So I bought about $200 work of Reggae vinyl and let it simmer for the week. So I could hear it fresh from the needle to the monitor speakers on Smile Jamaica.
First time audio experience for I ‘n’ I as well as the masses. Tune in and hear the fruits of my labor!
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives Jah-gust 31, 2019: All Vinyl
- Black Uhuru – What Is Life; Anthem (Island) ’83 JA vinyl (no overdub mix): 3 Hour Vinyl Show
- Blackbeard – Electrocharge; I Wah Dub (More Cut) ’80 Dub Album of the Hour
- The In Crowd – Born in Ethiopia; His Majesty Is Coming (Creole) ’78 Fr.
- Judy Mowatt – Mr. Big Man; Mellow Mood (Ashandan) ’75 JA
- Johnny Organ – Bewitched; Come Back Darling (Techniques) ’70 JA
- Sugar Minott – Ease Up Mr. Customs Man; Time Longer Than Rope (Greensleeves) ’85 UK
- Idren Natural & Seventh Sense – Sip a Cup; 12″ (Jah Works) 2007 UK 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Paul Davidson – Midnight Rider; Reggae Chartbusters 76 (Cactus) ’76 UK
- Yellowman – Honour Your Mother; Jack Sprat (Hit) ’82 JA
- Barbara Paige – Babylon Must Fall; Hear Me Now (Epiphany) ’82 Santa Cruz, CA
- The Upsetters feat. The Heptones – Zion Blood; Super Ape (Mango) ’76 Lee “Scratch” Perry/Black Ark prod’n
- Mark Jah Jah Bryan – Revelation Song (Rohit International) ’83 Barbados Reggae
- Dennis Brown – Slave Driver; Joseph’s Coat of Many Colours (Laser) ’79 UK
- Bomb Shelter – Stampede; Human Rights (Total Sounds) ’89 US
- Doreen Shaffer – This Love; Pirates Choice (Studio One) ’80 JA
- Jonathan Arthur – Burnin; 12″ (Emerald Isle) ’89 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Bullwackies All Stars – Recording Connection; Black World (Wackies) ’79 Dub Album of the Hour
- Dillinger – Tallowah; Tribal War (New Cross) ’86 UK
- Kojak & Liza – Two Bad Duppy; Showcase L.P. (Kojak) ’80 JA
- Michael Palmer – Mr. Officer; Ghetto Living (Bebo’s Music) ’85 Wheaton, MD
- Carlton Livingston & U Brown – Mr. Deejay; 12″ (A1) ’81
- Kofi – Reggae Starship; Black…With Sugar (Ariwa) ’89 UK female
- Owen Gray – Turning Point (Version); Dreams of Owen Gray (Trojan) ’79 dub to Tyrone Davis soul cover
- U Roy – Babylon Burning; Natty Rebel (Virgin Front Line) ‘ UK dj to Turning Point
- Sylford Walker – Books of the Old Testament; 12″ (Art & Craft) ’79 UK
Set 6: Wailers Family Tree
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Let Him Go; Marley, Tosh, Livingston & Associates (Studio One) ’66 JA – Wailers Family Tree; Bunny/Peter on vox
<Let Him Go; 90 sec.>
- Peter Tosh – No Sympathy (1972 mix); This Is Reggae Music vol. 3 (Mango) ’76 US diff. mix than on Legalize It
- Bunny Wailer – Crazy Baldhead; Tribute (Solomonic) ’80 Bob Marley covers
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Rainbow Country; 12″ (Daddy Kool) ’77 UK picture sleeve
- Creation Rebel & New Age Stppers – Chemical Specialist – Threat to Creation (Cherry Red) ’81 Dub Album of the Hour
- Wild Bunch – Mr. President Man; Wild Bunch (Ariwa) ’84 UK w/ female vox
- The Pioneers – Smokin’; Freedom Feeling (Trojan) ’73 UK
- Matumbi – Man in Me; Best of (Trojan) ’76 UK Bob Dylan cover
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Alien Dread feat. Martin Campbell & Hi Tech Roots Dynamics – Valley of Decision; Overcharge 10″ (ACL 2000) 2010 UK picture sleeve: Mutant Dub Set
- The Clash – Armagideon Time/Justice Tonight & Kick It Over; Black Market Clash 10″ (Nu Disk) 2010 UK picture sleeve; Willi Williams cover
- Mungo’s Hi Fi feat Soom T – Boom Shiva (Scotch Bonnet) 2012 herbtune w/ female vox
- Dub Syndicate – Green Stick; Echomania (ON U Sound) ’93 UK
- Dubfront Outernational w/ Vice Grip – Run Come Children + Dub and Run; 10″ (Dubfront) 2000 Germ.