<Digital story on my parents’ excursion into Medical Marijuana; 1 min. 46 sec.>
As an amateur missionary for the benefits of medical marijuana, I had been relaying the story of my parents’ excursions into Seven Leaf pain relief on the past two episodes of Smile Jamaica.
My parents just became snowbirds from Northern Montana to Sun City West, Arizona
My Mom has knee pain, anxiety and sleep issues and my dad: neuropathy, back pain and carpal tunnel issues. Last week I told the story about taking my Dad in to get a Medical MJ card.
<Medical Marijuana for Ma and Pa; 90 sec.>
Took a week to get the card, and I was back in Utah. So they went to the dispensary and had a little shopping spree
- pain relief pills
- topical CBD ointment
- pain patch
Because they bought so much and were first time customers, they got a free vape pen. And bought a 4 to 1; CBD to THC cartridge.
Long story short: they call me for guidance on how to work the vape pen. Trial and error and voila! My parents are vaping like Bob & Rita Marley.
And hour later I get another call….”We’re not feeling anything.” I said, you got the stuff that doesn’t “feel”. Oh. Ok.
Last Sunday I call and looks like Mom wants to try a little more kick to her healing regimen. Why not? It’s medicinal and legal.
Last Friday my sister texts me: Mom and Dad just had a toke!
Me: Cheech & Chong!
I had a listener call me after I told this story and we got into a discussion about having parents who are sick of the pills, cost and side effects of the Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex
Once the (recent) stigma of weed is overcome through the relief of daily pain and social anxiety, cannabis reclaims its rightful place in our 10,000 year history of the Seven Leaf plant.
Revelation 22:2King James Version (KJV)
In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
As I concluded my reasoning with the caller on the benefits of cannabis for our parents, he said, “You know Robert? You’re a good son.”
And I said, I really want my parents to enjoy their retirement pain free and unencumbered by the daily pill regimen they are currently under. However, I am definitely taking my vape pen with me on my next visit to Sun City West.
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-nuary 13, 2018 – Annotated Playlist; 1 min. 20 sec.
- Soul Syndicate – King’s Highway; High Times All-Star Explosion (Alligator) ’85 Chicago blues label
- Winston Edwards – Natty Dub; Natty Locks Dub (Studio 16) ’74 UK vinyl dub album of the hour
- Bad Brains – I and I Survive; Rock For Light (Caroline) ’83
- Rupie Dan and Jennifer Gad – Blazing Fire; Solid Foundation (Flag) ’92
- Carlene Davis – The Harder They Come; Reggae Sunsplash ’81 – Tribute to Bob Marley (Elektra) ’81 Jimmy Cliff cover
- Dub Syndicate – Higher Than High; 10″ (Lion & Roots) ’98 UK 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
Set 2: Wailers Family Tree
- Peter Tosh & the Wailers – 400 Years; Peter Tosh & Friends (Upsetter0 ’70 Lee “Scratch” Perry prod’n
<400 Years – The Middle Passage; 35 sec.>
- Bunny Wailer – Forever Loving Jah; Hall of Fame (RAS) ’95 Bob Marley covers
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Natural Mystic; Exodus 40 (Tuff Gong) Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London; June 1977
<Exodus Live inna London June 1977; 46 sec.>
- Rita Marley – That’s The Way; 12″ (Shanachie) ’80 US picture sleeve
- Wingless Angels – Inviting You + Shady Tree; Wingless Angels II (Mindless) ’96 Keith Richards, Justin Hinds; nyah drums
<Keith Richards on Smile Jamaica? WTF?; 32 sec.>
- UB40 – Don’t Break My Heart; LIttle Baggariddim (A & M) ’85 EP
- King Kong – Unity; Rumble Jumble Life (Massive B) 2005
- Grace Nelson – Jah Is Real; Ire Hi Fi – Play de Music (Plant Music) 2007 Germ.
- Lee Perry & the Upsetters – Jah; Black Ark in Dub (Upsetter) ’77 Dub Album of the hour
- Black Uhuru – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner; Black Uhuru
- Bush Chemists feat. Ras I – Borderline; Light Up Your Chalice (Conscious Sounds) ’99 UK mutant dub
- Super Chick – Bees Man; 10″ (Channel One) ’83
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Sister Carol – International Style; Black Cinderella (Jah Life) ’84 Brooklyn
- Laurel Aitken – Je t’aimerai toujours ( I Love You, Yes I Do!) ; Eskapade en France (Unicorn) ’90 Fr. ska EP
- The Specials – Sock it to ’em J.B.!; More Specials (2 Tone) ’80 UK tribute to neoliberal hitman, James Bond
- Chalice; Dangerous Disturbances; Stand Up! (CSA) ’85 UK
- Amp-Ech – Living Dead + Version; Against Injustice (Amp-Ech) ’87 JA
Set 6″ Roots Dawtas Rockers – Best of Smile Jamaica 28+ years
- Patti Smith Group – Ain’t It Strange; Radio Ethiopia (Arista) ’76
- Joan Armatrading – I Can’t Lie to Myself; Walking Under Ladders (A & M) ’81; feat. Sly & Robbie
- Tom Tom Club – Bamboo Town; Close to the Bone (Sire) ’83; Tina & Chris from Talking Heads
- Martha Velez – Bend Down Low; Escape from Babylon (Sire) ’76: Bob cover, Bob production, Wailers & I-Three. Lee Perry engineer
- Tapper Zukie – Chalice to Chalice; MPLA (Virgin Front Line) ’78 herbtune
- Jimmy Cliff – I Can See Clearly Now; Cool Runnings Soundtrack (Chaos) ’93 cover of Johnny Nash
- Don Evans & the Paragons – Danger in Your Eyes; Full Up – More Hits From Studio One (Heartbeat/Studio One) ’76
- Sis Aesha (sic) & Robbie Valentine – King Selassie I + Conditions; 10″ (Sip a Cup) 2001 UK
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Luciano & Sis Sanae – What You Gonna Do Now + Free Jah Children; Abassi All-Stars Showcase (Universal Egg) 2006 UK
- Alpha & Omega – Solomon and Sheba; Overstanding (A & O) ’92 UK trance dub
- Dr. Israel & the Brooklyn Jungle Sound System – Afrika Youth; Black Rose Liberation (Baraka Foundation) 2001 Brooklyn
- Dry & Heavy – Night Flight dub; Meet King Jammy in the Jaws of the Tiger (BSI) 2000 Jah-pon
- Charlie P & the Dubateers – Lock Me Up + Dub; Hustle (Dubateers) 2011 UK