About a month ago I was at breakfast with my best friend Nardo-jan. After six cups of coffee I was ready to head back to Mission Control for more work in my new Ark-ive. Saturday routine before Smile Jamaica.
Turned over the car battery on my Soob. Whrr, whrr, whrr. Click, click, click. Finally started but I figured my battery was a goner.
My buddy took me to his mechanic and they jumped the queue to get my battery installed.
I asked the girl working the counter if I could have my car back by 3pm. That is my drop dead time for Sugarhouse to KRCL by the SLC airport. I told her I was on the radio and needed to make sure I had time.
She asked me what station I was on. KRCL I said. I do Smile Jamaica. “Oh, that’s you? We listen in the shop and will have it on latter today.”
There was a youth also waiting to pay for his car. He chimed in. “My Uncle makes me listen to that show.” Not a big fan I take it? “Nah. I like country and classic rock.” He gave me the baleful look of someone who was not impressed.
So, I guess not everyone thinks Smile Jamaica is “all killer, no filler.” Torture!
So I livicated a song to this youth “forced” to listen to Smile Jamaica: Toots Hibbert’s Beautiful Woman. Country & Western.
<Toots country; 95 sec.>
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Annotated Playlist for Jah-gust 26, 2017;90 sec.
- Sinead O’Connor – Glory of Jah; Theology (2 CD) (That’s Why There’s Chocolate & Vanilla) – live acoustic at the Sugar Club, DUBlin, Ir(ie)land; Nov. 2006
<Sinead O’Connor – beautiful Reggae ballad; 31 sec.>
- Prince Jammy – Conspiracy on Neptune; Prince Jammy Destroys the Invaders (Greensleeves) ’82 UK Vinyl Dub Album of the Hour
- Eclipse – Eclipse; Corrupted Society (British Reggae Archive) ’78 UK
<Eclipse rewind; 38 sec.>
- Trevor Hartley – Love You More; Hartical (Jove) ’94 UK Lovers rock
- Thievery Corporation feat. Mr. Lif – Ghetto Matrix; Temple of I & I (ESL) 2017 dub-hop
- Rita Marley – One Draw; 12” (Shanachie) ’81 picture sleeve: 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
<One Draw – Smile Jamaica rmx; 3 min. 52 sec.>
- Peter Tosh – Mystic Man; Live Cuts (Columbia/Legacy) 1982 Calgary, Jah-berta Canada
- Aswad – Chasin’ for the Breeze; Rebel Souls (Mango) ’84 UK
- Gideon Jah Rubbaal – Love Rasta; Free Us Now(ACL) ‘77
- Abassi All-Stars feat. Minoo – December; No Answer 10″ EP (Universal Egg) 2008 UK mutant dubstress
- Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers – Say People; Hey World! (EMI America) ‘86
- Desmond Dekker – Reggae Recipe; Israelites (Trojan) best of
- Carlton Livingston – Please Mr. DJ; Retrospect (Grapevine) ’84 Best
- Love Joys – One Draw; Lovers Rock Showcase (Wackie’s) ’83 female duo covers Rita Marley
- King Tubby – Many Moods of the King of Dub; I Am the King vol. 3 (Sprint) Dub Album of the Hour
- Bunny Wailer – Roots Radics; In I Father’s House (Solomonic) ’80 JA vinyl
- Barry Brown – Party Night; Reggae Heights (Mafia & Fluxy) 2001 modern update
- Sugar Minott – Ghetto-ology; Ghetto-ology (Easy Star) ‘79 to Sam Cooke’s What a Wonderful World
<a PhD. in Ghetto-ology; 12 sec.>
- Naffi I – Stand Up; 10” (Roots Injection) 2007 UK female dubstress
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Black Uhuru – Party Next Door; 12” EP (4th & Broadway) ’83 picture sleeve; E.T. Thorngren rmx
- Sister Candy – Nation Connection; Laserbeam (Enterprise) ’83 Brooklyn
- Dillinger – Sammy Jeggae; Blackboard Jungle (Culture Press) ’84 UK dj to Johnny Clarke’s cover of Bob Marley’s Crazy Baldhead
- Louie Rankin, Brimstone & Fire & Bobby Culture – Big Big Bust; Tidal Wave (Unicorn) ’83 Santa Monica, CA – herbtune
- Phillip Parkinson – Control Them; Age of Reggae (Twinkle) ‘84 UK
Set 6: Best of Smile Jamaica – 27+ Years
- Toots & the Maytals – Beautiful Woman; Knock Out! (Mango) ’81
- Johnny Clarke – Cold I Up; Don’t Trouble Trouble (Attack) ‘75
- Cocoa Tea – Rocking Dolly; Rocking Dolly (RAS) ’82 dances in JA
- Akabu – Fate of the World; Warrior Queen (ON U Sound) ’95 UK dubstresses
- Bill Laswell rmx Sly & the Revolutionaries – Cocaine; Dub Massive Chapter One (Trojan) 2005 Dub Album of the Hour
Bob Marley & the Wailers – The Heathen; Exodus 40 (Tuff Gong) ’77 original + Ziggy’s new rmx
<Bob’s Exodus – personal and universal; 84 sec.>
<Heathen backweh pon the wall = heaving pate’ on the wall; 37 sec.>
<The Heathen – ’77 original vs. Exodus 40 Ziggy’s rmx; 42 sec.>
Aisha – Raise Your Voice; 12” (Twinkle) ’95 UK
Set 8: UFOria; 8 sec.
- Nicky Thomas – Doing the Moonwalk; Doing the Moonwalk (Trojan) ’72 – UFOria set
- Lone Ranger – UFO; Barnabas in Collins Wood (Wave) ’79 JA vinyl
- The Orb – Little Fluffy Clouds (Heavyweight Dub mix); CD Single (Island) ’91 UK
- Tena Stelin – UFO; Lion Symbol (Jah Warrior) ’99 UK
- Little Boots – Satellite; Nocturnes (On Repeat) 2013 UK electronica w/ female vox
<From my Twitter feed: Is Nancy Pelosi an Alien? 1 min.>
Words of Wisdom: