I ‘n’ I have been hosting Smile Jamaica for 30 years now. October 1989. Don’t remember the first Halloween Reggae show I did, but it would have been early 90’s.
So a quarter century of the exploration of Jamaican, mostly, superstitions about witches, vampires, ghosts/duppies, Obeah Black Magic, The Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein and the rest!
About 10 years ago I was transitioned into head of the Audio Studio at the Marriott Library: Fall 2009. The early days of digital content. So I had started to notice many soundbytes in a horror vein from my Reggae CD collection.
I started ripping those clips from CDs, pull them into ProTools digital editor. “Snip, snip”. Export as .mp3. Same with a multitude of Halloween sound effects disks.
And there you go! Just like Dr. Frankenstein cutting up sound for your ghoulish pleasure!
Oct. 26th Smile Jamaica will be 3 hours of Boneyard Skanking. But play this podcast to keep the kids off your porch while you hand out your high fructose delights.
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-tober 19, 2019 Annotated Playlist; 91 sec.
- Don Carlos & Gold – Harvest Time; Raving Tonight (RAS) ’83 DC vinyl
- The Aggrovators – Strictly Rockers in the Dreadland (Justice) ’76 JA dub album of the week
- Victor Essiet & the Mandators – Mi Friends (Duppy Conqueror); One Love One World (Mystic) 2006 Nigerian singers cover Bob Marley Halloween tune
- Hortence Ellis – Words; Queen of Reggae (JA) ’82 soul cover?
- Delroy Wilson – Better Must Come; Norman Jay MBE Presents Ska and Boogie (Sunday Best) ’71
- The Itals – Herbs Pirate; Calling Rastafari (Nighthawk) ’82 comp: 4:20 Service Announcement
- Mike Brooks – Devil’s Conspiracyj 10″ (Sip a Cup) Mid 2000’s UK militant steppers
- George Faith – All the Love I’ve Got; To Be a Lover (Mango) ’77 Lee “Scratch” Perry/Black Ark prod’n
- Milton Henry – Them a Devil; Who Do You Think I Am? (Wackies) ’85
- Zema – Somebody Wrong; Look at the Heart (Melchizedek) ’99 Culver City, CA female
- Dennis Bovell – Pow Wow; All Over the World (EMI) 2006 UK dubber on 70’s I Roy riddim
- Moses – When the Vampire Comes to Your Neighbourhood; 12″ (Wackies) ’82 Bronx, NY
- Dillinger – I Thirst; Cocaine (Charly) ’79 Barnabas Collins vampire: Best of Smile Jamaica 30 Years – Halloween
- Don Carlos – Night Rider (In Danger); Deeply Concerned (RAS) ’87 ghostbuster
- Willi Williams – Dungeon; Messenger Man (Blood & Fire) ’80
- Wailing Souls – Face the Devil + Dub; Wailing (Jah Guidance) ’81
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Sharon and Cedella Marley – (I’m) Hurting Inside; Mighty Quinn soundtrack (A & M) ’89 Bob Marley cover
- Thievery Corporation feat. Ras Pidow – The Outernationalist; Babylon Rewound (ESL) 2004 DC dubers rmx Rasta elder
- Scientist – Blood on His Lips; Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampire (Greensleeves) ’81 Halloween dub
- General Saint & Clint Eastwood – Talk About Run; 12′ (Greensleeves) ’81 UK
- Sly & Robbie – Stepping Out a Space; Dub Revolutionaries (Ariwa) 2003 Dub Album of the Week
Set 5: Jah-loween Vinyl
- Lone Ranger – Annie Palmer; Barnabas in Collins Wood (Wave) ’79 JA – Jamaican witch
<Annie Palmer; 39 sec.>
- Crucial Bee – Mark of the Beast; Just a Sting (All-Star) US Virgin Island
- Dennis Brown – Spellbound; Spellbound (Joe Gibbs) ’80 Miami, FL
- Chalice – Back Weh Evil Forces; Stand Up (CSA) ’85 UK
- Amp-Ech – Living Dead + Dub; Against Injustice (Amp-Ech) ’87 JA
Set 6: Wailers Family Tree
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Maga Dog; Marley, Tosh, Livingston & Associates (Studio One) ’66 Tosh vox
<Maga dog = mangy dog; 66 sec.>
- Peter Tosh – Mystic Man; Live at the Ritz (bootleg) 9/29/81 in NYC
- Bunny Wailer – Running Away; Hall of Fame (RAS) 50 Bob Marley songs for his 50th birthday
- Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers – 666; Hey World! (EMI America) ’86
- Jah Shaka Meets Aswad – Addis Ababa; In Addis Ababa Studio (Jah Shaka) ’84 UK dub album of the hour
Set 7: 7″ Jamaican Jukebox Halloween
- Twinkle Brothers – Devil Worshippers; 7″ (Twinkle) ’99 – 7″ Jamaican Jukebox Jah-loween Set
- Chezidek – Vampire; 7″ (Massive B) ’96
- Levi Williams – Duppy Jamboree + Dub; 7″ (Mighty Cloud + Student) ’74
Set 8: Mutant Dub Halloween
- Balkan Beat Box – What a Night; Give (National Geographic) 2012 Israeli about a ghost:
<Who is Jimmy Savile?>
- Ghetto Priest – Dungeon; Vulture Culture (ON U Sound) 2003 UK: Singers & Players cover
- Hollie Cook – Desdemona; Twice (Mr. Bongo) 2014 UK dawta about a ghost encounter in the park
- Lee “Scratch” Perry – Grim Reaper; On the Wire (Trojan) 200 UK
- Finley Quaye – Mash Up Lucifer/Stone the Devil; CD EP (Epic) ’97
- Dubchek – Duppy Train; Down Memory Gap Lane (Unitone World) 2001