Before we start: Happy Jamaican Independence Day – 55 years old
<Aug. 6, 1962 – Jamaican Independence Day; 21 sec.>
Before the crappy Digital Millennium Copyright ACT (DMCA) I used to spin one half of an album midway on Smile Jamaica. Usually something rare that hadn’t been issued on CD (much less digital).
Orrin Hatch put a stop to that.
- DMCA verboten: Can’t play more than 4 songs by the same artist
- DMCA verboten: Can’t play more than three songs in a row of any one album.
So I switched up a new tradition: Rockers do Reggae
I ‘n’ I am a music obsessive who listens to a lot more than Reggae. So I have 2 CD Suitcases and then some of Rock, Soul, Jazz, Punk artists doing (usually) one shot Reggae riffs.
Every once in a while someone pitches a bitch. Got a nasty email when playing UK angry rocker Graham Parker’s soul riff down rub a dub “More Questions than Answers”.
Another time I had a caller asking me when Smile Jamaica would be over because I played a Camper Van Beethoven ska tune!
But you gotta trust me. Reggae is universal. Not all of it is great, but some of it is right on.
With that in mind enjoy this week’s Ark-Ive and listen for: Last week it was jazbo Herbie Mann. Get set this week – Ella Fitzgerald, Eric Clapton, Bad Brains, Judy (Mowatt) does Jerry (Garcia). From Bad Brains to Bob Dylan.
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-gust 5, 2017 Annotated Playlist; 90 sec.
- Brigadier Jerry – Jah Jah Move; Jamaica Jamaica (RAS) ’85 DC vinyl
- Desmond & Joe – Bristol Rock; Dubbing in the U.K. (Starlight) UK vinyl dub album of the hour
- Peter Tosh – Coming in Hot; Honorary Citizen (Columbia/Legacy) ’82 Boulder, Collie-radio live
- Bad Brains – Leaving Babylon; Babylon Central Soundtrack (ESL) ’83 DC punk-dubbers
- Capital Letters – Rumours; Headline News (Greensleeves) ’79 UK youth group
<Headline News? Roots Reggae vs. The CIA News Network; 13 sec.>
- Gracy & the Herbman Band – Forward Up; See Mi Yah (Funfundvierzig) ’91 Germ. Female herbtune
- John Holt – Police In Helicopter; 12” (Holt) ’81 siren mix: 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
<Police Siren in your rearview? Johnny Law or Smile Jamaica? 32 sec.>
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – So Much Things to Say; Exodus 40 (Tuff Gong) ’77 original + 2017 Ziggy rmx
<Ziggy remixes Exodus 40 – 77 to 2017; 79 sec.>
<1977 to 2017: So Much Things to Say; 44 sec.>
- Wailing Souls – Wild Wild Life; Cool Runnings Soundtrack (Chaos) ’93 Talking Heads cover
- Christine Miller & Roots Hi-Tek – Trod Away Home (Roots Hi-Tek) 2005 UK militant steppers
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica 27+ Years
- The Selecter – Bombscare; Celebrate the Bullet (Chrysalis) ’81 UK 2 Tone ska
<Pauline Black & The Selecter; 2 wars to 7 in 8 years: Bombscare! 25 sec.>
- Barrington Levy – Please Jah Jah; Prison Oval Rock (RAS) ‘84
- Aswad – Hooked On You; To the Top (Simba) ’86 UK
- African Head Charge – Hold Some More; Songs of Praise (ON U Sound) ’91 UK African/dub
- Jack Ruby & the Black Disciples – Marcus Garvey Dub; Black Foundation in Dub (Heartbeat) Dub Album of the Hour
- Black Uhuru – Bull in the Pen; Anthem (Island) ’84 – US rmx
<Fence can’t hold 2 big bull inna the pen; 56 sec.>
- Mungo’s Hi Fi feat. Top Cat & Soom T – Herbalist + Did You Know?; 12” (Scotch Bonnet) 2007 UK dubstep; herbtune + female vox
<Dubstep = the punk of the Reggae genre; 19 sec.>
Set 5: Vinyl Is Vital
- Bunny Wailer – Whirly Girly; In I Father’s House (Solomonic) ’80 JA
- Akimbo – So Long Trouble; So Long Trouble (Forward Sounds International) ’85 UK w/ female vox
<Adventures in Cratedigging; 40 sec.>
- Horace Ferguson – Tranquilizer; Sensi Addict (Prince Jazzbo Music) ’87 JA herbtune
- Desi Roots – Black Justice; Doing It Right (Hawkeye) ’80 UK
- New Age Steppers – 5 Dog Race; Foundation Steppers (ON U Sound) ’83 UK Adrian Sherwood/mutant dub instrumental
- Judy Mowatt – They Love Each Other; Fire on the Mountain 2 (Pow Wow) ’97 Jerry Garcia cover
<Reggae Dead Mashup>
- Jimmy Lindsay – Easy; 12 the Hard Way (Tribesman) ’77 Commodores cover
- Squire Jon – Are We Really Free?; 10” (Hi Try) 2006 UK spoken word
- King Jammy Meets Dry and Heavy In the Jaws of the Tiger – Do Dub Up Your Fight (BSI) 2001 Jah-pon: Dub Album of the Hour
Set 7: Rockers do Reggae
- Ella Fitzgerald – Sunshine of Your Love; Groove Corporation Presents Remixes From Elephant House 2 (Distant Drummer) 2001 covering The Cream rmx
- Eric Clapton – Willie and the Hand Jive; 461 Ocean Boulevard (Island) ‘75
- Garland Jeffreys – Zoo; Garland Jeffreys (Collector’s Music) ’73 NYC rocker
- Bob Dylan – Man Gave Names to All the Animals; Slow Train Running (Columbia) ‘79
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Dan-I & King Kietu – Pope; Rastafari Judgement Fire (Imperial Roots) 2009 Sicily: Mutant Dub Set
- Allan Pillay – Demonic Forces; Wild Paarty Sounds vol. 1 (Cherry Red/ON U Sound) ’81 UK
- Tony Tuff – The Answer; Time Will Tell: Henry & Louis Meet Blue and Red (BSI) 2001 Portland, OR
- Grace Jones – Hurricane + Dub; Hurricane (Wall of Sound) 2011
Wordcs of Wisdom: