How is your quarantine treating you? This show is the third Homegrown edition of Smile Jamaica since the clampdown.
I ‘n’ I have whiled away the daylight hours crafting the 6 x half hour sets to upload to KRCL to play live, Saturday 4-7 PM on air. This and the next edition of Smile Jamaica is a dubble dose of 420.
Pot-cast as opposed to podcast. All Mutant Dub herbal enthusiasts. Included are my infamous marijuana related soundbytes, movie dialog and specialty bong effects. More than 25 years of such green leafy goodness
For an introvert, you would think I ‘n’ I would be loving Shelter in Place. Been listening to about 4-5 hours of music a day. Hate daytime TV. Probably 60 disks in the queue for when the all clear is given to rinse out on the radio
You would think quarantine would be a piece of cake.
Not so. I ‘n’ I have been mostly good. Stick to home during the week. But I refused to be an invalid on the weekends. Mini excursions as a Smile Jamaica listener:
- Bought gas for $1.99 a gallon. Too bad you can’t drive anywhere
- Broke the glass bowl on my smoking utensil – Praise Anu the headshops are open!
- Ordered some missing Jah Shaka 10″ and 12″ vinyl off Discogs to complete my collection. $50 a pop. The cratediggers equivalent of comfort food
- I ‘n’ I did do some cratedigging at Graywhale. Mask, gloves and no one in the Reggae, Techno, World sections. Man, record stores are gonna be lucky to survive the economics of Covid-19
- Make a loop looking for some items: have toilet paper and paper towels. Scored two bottles of bleach at the Mall-wart (where I would never shop during normal times.) Can’t find rubbing alcohol which I ‘n’ I need for cleaning my smoking utensil
- Ordered some bass traps for my new subwoofer so maybe my neighbor will quit bitching about “bass infection”
- Binge watched the last 2 seasons of Ancient Aliens – did you know viruses were created by Aliens to manipulate mankind’s evolution? Well, now you know!
- Switched to an HBO comedy series called High Maintenance about a NYC weed delivery guy
- Bombed out of line at the liquor store. Too many people outside even at six feet apart? Not worth it for my 1750 ml of Makers Mark
- Cleaned out my storage shed I ‘n’ I probably hadn’t been in in over a decade
- Organized my T shirt collection by: Marley, Weed, Aliens, Sumerians, rockers
- Slogged through my taxes . Check daily for my $1200 Trumpbux, because….
- Found out my car is dying. Took it in for 90k service and got told $3500 in my future for repairs. Gonna car shop on Sunday for a new Soob. Hope new models still have CD players!
- Dodging the daily earthquakes SLC has been having.
- Walking from the living room to the Ark-ives is not enough physical activity. Bought a pedometer and stealth walking my neighborhood avoiding all other people doing the same. I ‘n’ I will pay the jaywalking ticket.
- Did a little work for the University
The one thing I ‘n’ I am not doing much? Reading politics. Tired of body counts, doom porn and the inevitable political bickering on who to blame for the Covid.
So I’m going old school: Found this book in a box in the shed I ‘n’ I had bought during my last cratedig to San Francisco. City Lights Bookstore:
The Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.
Something moody and macabre to fit the mood as we all wait for the Covid to come get us.
The Unparalleled Adventures of One Hans Pfaal
- With a heart of furious fancies,
- Whereof, I am commander,
- With a burning spear and a horse of air ,
- To the wilderness I wander
Did someone say Burning Spear? I ‘n’ I think I made a good choice to counter the doom porn until we are all let out in 2022.
Stay safe, don’t hoard and bless,
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-pril 4, 2012 – Mutant Dub 420 Pot-cast
- Future Pigeon – The Mummy; Echodelic Sounds of Future Pigeon (Record Collect) 2006 LA: Mutant Dub 420
- 2 Bad Card – Weed Specialist; Hustling Ability (ON U Sound) ’95 UK
- Adrian Sherwood feat. Bim Sherman – Nu Rizla; Becoming a Cliche (RealWorld) 2006 UK
- Dubblestandart feat. Devon D – We All Have to Get High; Immigration Dub (Collision) 2006 Jah-stria
- African Head Charge feat. Prince Far I – Take Heed and Smoke Your Collie Weed (ON U Sound) 2011 UK
- Armagideon – Eternal Combustion; Steppin’ Forward (Armagideon Sounds) ’95 UK
- Audio Active – Wa-Nanna; Tokyo Space Cowboys (ON U Sound) ’94 Jah-pon
- Dub Congress – Dub Up the Hemp; Babylon Is Ours (Select Cuts) 2003 US
- Martin EZ – Light It Up; Babylon Central Soundtrack (ESL) 2006 UK
- Abassi All-Stars – Good Sensimilla; Live As One (Remixed) (Universal Egg) UK
- Bush Chemists – Light Up Your Spliff; Light Up Your Spliff (Conscious Sounds) UK
- Hughie Izachaar – Jsut a Little Spliff; Jah Warrior Showcase (Jah Warrior) ’99 UK
- Zion Train feat. Earl 16 – Good Sensi; Live as One Remixed (Universal Egg) 2009 UK
- Soom T – I Need Weed; Ode to a Carrot (Jahtari) 2010 Glasgow roots dawta
- Vivian Jones – Got a Light; 12″ (Jah Shaka) ’86 UK
- Junior Delgado – Fully Legalise; Chainstore Massacre (ON U Sound) 2002 UK
- Alpha & Omega feat. Gregory Isaacs – Bush Ganja; Trample the Eagle and the Dragon and the Bear (A & 0) 2005 UK
- Dr. Israel Presents Dreadtone International – Sensimilla; Patterns of War (ROIR) 2005 NY
- Kid Loco – Here Comes the Munchies; Kill Your Darlings (Division One) 2001 Fr.
- Brooklyn Funk Essentials – Istanbul Twight – The Sex, The City, The Music (Petrol) 2003
- Dry & Heavy – Kick the Bong Around; One Punch (Green Tea) ’99 Jah-pon w/ female vox
- Peter Tosh – Legalize It (Dub Club Version); 10″ Echodelic Remixes (Delicious Vinl) 2010 Picture Sleeve
- Pama International – Evening Time; Float Like a Butterfly (Do the Dog) 2005 UK
- Dub Lounge International – Herb Hangover; Dub Lounge International (Anchor Vessel) 2006 Seattle
- The Archives feat. Ras Puma – Sensibility; The Archives (ESL) 2012 DC
- Lazy Boy – The Manual; Lazy Boy TV (Universal) 2004
- Black Uhuru Meets Black Sabbath – Guess Who’s Coming For Sweet Leaf; 7″ (blank) mashup
- Thievery Corporation feat. Pamela Bricker- Lebanese Blonde; Mirror Conspiracy (ESL) ’98 DC
- Kenny Knots – Good Sensi; Gi Me the General (Conscious Sounds) 2003 UK
- King General – They Say (Sensimilla Can’t Smoke); Money Run Tings (Conscious Sounds) ’96 UK
- Groove Corporation feat. UB40 – Legalise It; Presents Remixes From Elephant House (Guidance) 2002
- Devind the Dude – Zeldar; Just Tryin’ Ta Live (Rap a Lot) 2002
- WordSound I Powa – Intro; Live From the Planet Crooklyn (ROIR) ’96 NY
Words of Wisdom: