I ‘n’ I went back to work last week. Hadn’t been in since the Earthquake in Mid March and then everything got shut down.
There was hardly anyone there, but I had to make sure everything was working for a new semester of Covidized media.
I manage the Audio and Video Studios for the Marriott Library at the University of Utah campus. Audio Studio is used heavily for podcast creation.
New rules: 1 person can use a microphone, with a “condom”. 2 people have to record with their masks on. I ‘n’ I got the hairy eyeball from users on that suggestion. Not my rules, but I’m the Sheriff and have to enforce them.
So I ‘n’ I get home, without incident, and just sort of randomly cough. Immediately I thought. Oh no! Is the streak over?
Then I saw this:
I ‘n’ I said to my boss: I’m taking the first of classes as vacation. Let those Covid infested University students come on campus get their books, student loans, course registration, etc.
Spewing The Covid everywhere. Let it settle and then I’ll come back.
I’m not afraid of The Covid, but I ‘n’ I would just assume minimize risk where possible. I ‘n’ I have two nephews, one already picked up a case – no symptoms, no fear – so I know the mindset of the youth.
None of them are going to classmate’s funerals, so they feel immortal. Yet, there is the Reggae Saying that I ‘n’ I know and live by:
<New broom sweeps clean, Old broom knows the corners>
My main reason is that as long as I ‘n’ I stay Covid free, I get to juggle the black wax at KRCL. They are Karen’s. I’m not. Right now, I’m the only Saturday person live at KRCL and intend to keep it that way .
Deejaying from home, without access to vinyl, offends my motto: No digital for I ‘n’ I.
<The joy of live KRCL; 36 seconds>
So just in case, they stash I ‘n’ I in a nursing home next week, I decided for one more vinyl showcase for the masses on Smile Jamaica.
<Bobbylon 11, The Covid 0; 1 min.>
So enjoy this Smile Jamaica Ark-Ive podcast and hear some stories while I’ n’ I go to the kitchen to dip my spliff in a jug of HCQ.
Story 1: the Tragic murder of youthman Hugh Mundell
Story 2: 80’s Live Reggae at the Triad Center, Salt Lake City; 45 sec.
Story 3: Ganja trimmers from Ganjarado listen online to Smile Jamaica; 1 min. 22 sec.
Story 4: Bunny Wailer’s return to live performing; 56 sec.
Story 5: KUSF – From best college radio station to classical music; 54 sec.
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-gust 22, 2020 Annotated Playlist; 66 sec.:
- Ras Michael & the Sons of Negus – Build Up Your House; Revelation (Trojan) ’82 UK nyahbinghi
- The Disciples – The Ghost; Garvey’s Ghost (Mango) ’76 Burning Spear dub album of the hour
- Big Youth – Cool Breeze; Everyday Skank (Trojan) ’72 UK dj to Stop That Train
- U Roy – Rocking Vibration; Love Is Not a Gamble (TR International) ’80 JA dj to Gladiators
- Ashanti Roy & Sister Bunny Brissett – Look Before You Leap; Berlin Wall (High Times) ’92 JA
- Brown Eagle and Spear – Draw the Challice; Brown Eagle and Spear (New Name) ’88 JA 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Hugh Mundell – False Rumour; 12″ (Rockers International) ’78 JA
- Yellowman – Throw Mi Corn; Under Me Fat Thing (Arrival) ’82 JA dj to Larry Marshall
- Myrna Hague – Melody Life; Melody Life (Studio One) JA Marcia Griffiths cover
- Horace Andy – Jah Rainbow; Natty Dread a Weh She Want (New Star) ’78 JA
- Voice of Progress – Lost in Space; Mini Bus Driver (Negus Roots) ’82 JA
- Tapper Zukie – Raggy Joey Boy; 10″ (Mobiliser) ’82 UK picture sleeve
Set 3: 7″ Jamaican Jukebox Set
- The Gayletts – Son of a Preacher Man; 7″ (Steady) ’70 Dusty Springfield cover;
- Jah Stitch – Collie Burn; 7″ (Soul Power) ’76 dj to Johnny Clarke/Tosh – Legalize It
- Ashley Bennett – Leggo the Wrong; 7″ (Observer)
- Junior Mervin – Defuse the Bomb; 7″ (Mervin)
- The Revolutionaries – IRA; 7″ (Disco Mix) ’78 dub
- Israel Vibration – Worry Dub; Israel Dub (Greensleeves) ’78 Dub Album of the Hour
- Carribbean All Stars – Reggae Down; Live and Direct (Raw Live) ’86 Oakland
- Zap Pow – Sweet Lovin’ Love; Love Hits (LMS) ’74 JA
- Lone Ranger – Legalise the Collie Herb; Hi Yo Silver, Away! (Greensleeves) ’82 UK herbtune
- Boney L & Vibronics – Babylon Children; 10″ (Jah Tubbys) 2006 UK militant steppers dawta
- Freddie McGregor – Natural Collie; FM (High Times) 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Jennifer Lara – A Change Is Gonna Come; Studio One Presents (Studio One) ’81 JA – Sam Cooke cover
- Jimmy Cliff – Rub a Dub Partner; Special (CBS) ’82 US
- Ken Boothe – Jah Is My Nuclear Bomb; 12″ (Black Solidarity) ’85 JA
- Jah Shaka – Giver of Life; 12″ (Jah Shaka) ’87 UK
Set 6: Politrix Set
- Papa Kojie & Blue Riddim – Nancy Reagan Re-Election Remix; 12″ (ORA International) ’85 LA picture sleeve:
- The Heptones – Mr. President; Party Time (Mango) ’76 Lee “Scratch” Perry/Black Ark
- The Wild Bunch – Mr. President Man; The Wild Bunch (Ariwa) ’84 UK – two dawtas, 1 dread
- Roy C & the Honeydrippers – Impeach the President; 12″ (Tuff City) ’73 honey colored vinyl
- Creation Rebel/New Age Steppers – Chemical Specialist; Threat to Creation (Cherry Red/ON U Sound) ’81 Dub Album of the Hour
Set 7: Wailers Family Tree
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Exodus; Lion’s Domain (bootleg) ’78 UK
- Marcia Griffiths – Life Is Like a Garden; Rock My Soul (56 Hope Road) ’84 JA
- Bunny Wailer – Ballroom Floor; Live (Solomonic) Dec. 26, 1982 Kingston, JA
- Peter Tosh – Where You Gonna Run; 12″ (EMI America) ’83 US
- Frank Caroll – Pimper’s Paradise; Making Life Easy (Little Train) ’87 Fort Lauderdale, FL; Bob Marley cover
- Johnny Clarke – Reggae Music; Give Thanks (Ariwa) ’85 UK
- Prince Far I – Natty Champion; Jamaican Heroes (Trojan) ’80 UK
- Pablo & Fay – Bedroom Mazurka; 10″ (Trojan) ’73 rude to Keith & Tex “Tonght”