The last time I ‘n’ I felt the need to lay down a Reggae set about World War III was Summer 2014.
Civil War in Ukraine. Russians in the East, Ukrainians in the West went at it and in the middle of the conflict a Dutch airliner was shot down.
Sabres were rattled. Much hostile rhetoric. NATO vs. Putin. WTF?
So I do what I’n’ I always do. Go into the Smile Jamaica Ark-ives and hunt down the appropriate peace treaty tunes mixed with cautionary anti-war roots.
I ‘n’ I political philosophy can summed up in three planks
- Everything turned to shit when people quit praising the original Holy Trinity: Anu, Enki and Ishtar
- Extra terrestrials are here to try and stop us from destroying the planet they need for their gold stocks
- “Clowns to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right….here I ‘n’ I am stuck in the middle with you.”
The World War III set 2014 was offered, Putin heard it on my Mixcloud stream and he backed off.
And while things aren’t perfect in Ukraine, the galaxy, not just Earth, was spared Chernobyl 2,000,000.0.
Putin’s a dubber. Goes by the name DJ Lemonhead
Wheel it forward to 2020. Pres. 45. The Orange Messiah. Swamp is draining like my dad’s cerebral spinal fluid shunt. Barely, but supposedly dripping.
Just came off the road from seeing my Pop’s and family in Albuquerque then Phoenix. Intense week of caregiving (my Pop’s has NPH which makes him: wacky, wobbly and wet).
Got in one day of cratedigging in Phoenix. Love their vinyl shops much better in 60 degree weather than 110.
Among the Reggae gems you hear I ‘n’ I rinse out on this podcast, I found some grooving word LPs.
- Fly back to SLC Jan. 1
- Put together weekly Mixcloud podcast Jan. 2
- Rise and Shine 7am to post podcast Jan. 3
- See on Twitter that the Iranian General had been assassinated by the “Swamp Drainer.” Fuck it. I ‘n’ I am going back to bed
<Bobbylon’s World War 3.0 Set; 1 min. 47 sec.>
No one wants to see their ancestral home destroyed. As you may or may not know: My Mom’s family emigrated/escaped from Iran around World War I.
I ‘n’ I identify as an Assyrian American/Sumerian Fundamentalist.
My graduation gift for 1983 was promised a trip to Iran. Alas, the Islamic Revolution in ’79 scuttled that. Lebanon, Gaza, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq 2.0, ISIS/ISIL, Libya, Somalia, Syria. Looks like Iran got next, alas!
So back into the Ark-Ives. Pull another set of World War 3.0 Reggae/Punk/Ska
- The Clash – Rock the Casbah – topical in that the Ayatollahs had banned popular music in Iran
- Ruffy & Tuffy – If the Third World War Is a Must. Roots twins prophecy: there are no winners when Russia ‘n’ America “come fi buss.”
- The Special AKA – War Crimes. 2 Tone ska regarding massacres in Beirut Lebanon compared to the death camp of Belsen. “The numbers are different but the crime is still the same.”
- Mikey Dread – World War 3.0 is only minutes away!
Rumor has it Pres. 45 likes to listen to the Smile Jamaica Ark-Ive Podcasts while watching CNN with the TV muted.
Big Macs, cheeseburgers and Smile Jamaica. Let us hope he hears I ‘n I Prophecy and heeds the call…NO WAR IN IRAN
My wish is that if you are reading this, you listen to the anti-War set and pray to the sky god(s) of your choosing that there be NO WAR IN IRAN
Smile Jamaica Annotated Playlist: Jah-nuary 11, 2020; 90 sec.
- Pancho Alphanso – Watch This Sound; Watch This Sound (Shanachie) ’82 Ho Ho Kus, NJ vinyl
- Tad’s Logic Dub Band – Science; Chapter 1 Dub Mix (Tad’s) ’84 UK vinyl dub album of the hour; Thomas Dolby’s “She Blinded Me With Science”
- The Gladiators – Bless Our Soul; Send I a Lion (Nighthawk) ’84 comp
- Ayo – Who; Ticket to the World (Motown) 2013 Nigerian dawta
- Daweh Congo – Herb Tree; Human Rights & Justice (Roots & Culture) 2000 4:20 Cannabis Service Announcement
- Spliffy Dan – Dreadlocks Preaching Love; 10″ (Rockers) ’80 UK A. Pablo prod’n
- The Upsetters – Dyon-Anaswa; Return of the Super Ape (Trojan) ’78 Lee “Scratch” Perry/Black Ark era
- Bunny Wailer – One Love; Hall of Fame (RAS) ’95: 50 Bob Marley songs for 50th birthday
- Susan Cadogan – Say a Little Prayer; Songs of Aretha (Ariwa) 2019 Aretha Franklin cover
- Dizzy & Soul Syndicate + Philip Frazer – Lonely Reggae + Only Jah Knows; 10″ (Impact!) UK cover of Herb Alpert trumpet “Lonely Bull
Set 3: Best of Smile Jamaica 30+ Years
- The Abyssinians – Poor Jason Whyte; Satta Massa Gana (Heartbeat) ’76
- Rita Marley – My Kind of War; Harambe (Shanachie) ’82
- Niney the Observer – Blood & Fire; Freaks (Heartbeat) ’92 update of his classic herbtune
- Capital Letters – Smoking My Ganja 12″; Headline News (Greensleeves) ’79 UK herbtune
- Jimmy Cliff – Roots Radical; Rhythm Come Forward vol. 3 (Columbia) ’82 comp.
- Alton & Hortense Ellis – Why Did You Leave Me to Cry; Cry Tough (Heartbeat/Treasure Isle) rocksteady brother and sister
- Thievery Corporation feat. David Byrne – The Heart’s a Lonely Hunter (ESL) 2005 UFOria
- Singers & Players feat. Congo Ashanti Roy – Breaking Down the Pressure; 10″ (ON U Sound) ’83 UK picture sleeve
- Maya Dread; Yard Man Style – Kaya Dub (Kaya) ’75 Dub Album of the Hour
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Soul Captives; Best of Bob Marley & the Wailers (Beverley’s) ’70 JA
<Soul Captives; 90 sec.>
- The Heavenly Twins – Hide Me, Rock of Ages; I Am On the Battlefield of the Lord (Social Music) ’67 UK Jamaican gospel w/ male and female vox
- Messenjah – Rock You High; Rock You High (WEA) ’82 US
- Joe Higgs – So It Goes; High Times All-Star Exposion (Alligator) ’85 Chicago
- Zara McFarlane & Dennis Bovell – East of the River Nile; 12″ (Brownswood) 2019 UK dawta
- Peter Touch & the Wailers – Maga Dog; The Toughest (Heartbeat/Studio One) ’64
<Peter Touch’s Maga Dog; 1 min.>
- The Ethiopians – Let It Be; Slave Call (Heartbeat) ’75 Beatles cover
- Sister Carol – Natty Dread Congo; Lyrically Potent (Heartbeat) ’96 Bob Marley cover
- Undivided Roots – England Cold; 10″ (Well Crucial) ’82 UK picture sleeve
Set 7: World War III
- The Clash – Rock the Casbah; 12″ (Epic) ’82 US picture sleeve: World War III Set
- Ruffy & Tuffy – If the Third World War Is a Must; Climax (Black Star) ’88 Finland vinyl
- The Special AKA – War Crimes; 10″ (2 Tone) ’82 2 Tone ska picture sleeve
- Mikey Dread – World War III; Beyond World War III (Dread at the Controls) ’81
Set 8: Mutant Dub
- Claude Fontaine – Hot Tears; Claude Fontaine (Innovative Leisure) 2019 Fr. dubstress
- Mad Professor feat. Love Clinic – Studio 54 Dub; Afrocentric 5: Black Liberation Dub Chapter 5 (Ariwa) ’98 Blondie’s Rapture feat. female vox
- Andrea – Come Back; CD Single (vx) 2005 Canadian
- Sevendub feat. Angelique – Fire (Soul Fire mix); Dub Club Edition (Collision) 2006 Germ. w/ female vox
- Lee “Scratch”Perry – Heaven & Hell; 10” (ON U Sound) 2019 UK picture sleeve