Happy 2018! By tradition for the past decade or so, I have devoted the first Smile Jamaica Ark-Ive of the year to Mutant Dub. What I tend to end the shows with in the last half hour, showcased 3 hours of drum and bass glory.
Not everyone is a fan of the “wobble” as much as the Orthodox Roots Reggae “echo.” I can expect at least one listener to call in that it is all too much. (2018 complaint received around 6:15 this year.)
Yet, I was also encouraged by people calling in to say how unexpectedly refreshing it is to hear a classic Massive Attack tune on a Roots Reggae show. (I cast the Reggae net far and wide.) Much love shown to the ON U Sound massive. Creation Rebel, Dry & Heavy, New Age Steppers and Singers & Players. Adrian Sherwood – the Godfather of Mutant Dub
And this year a listener checked in to say that he was unhappy with the flat sound of his Klipsch speakers. (I also fire up Klipsch at the Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives.) Until he flipped on Smile Jamaica and the bass woke-up on his Hi-Fi.
<Smile Jamaica brings out the bass in your speaker array; 24 sec.>
After two weeks showing love to my family from Albuquerque to Sun City West, AZ – it felt good to get back on the decks and juggle bassadelica for all who love and loathe the modern sound of downtro, dubstep, lounge, jungle, electronica, post-punk, 420 dubbers, Roots Dawtas and Disco Mix vinyl.
Lo-fi for I ‘n’ I
I took up the show right in the middle of a personal crisis. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, committed enemy to the Seven Leaf, waited until Collie-fornya legalized the collie weed on New Year’s Day 2018 and sicc’d his Justice Department attorneys to stop the people’s will.
I just set my parents up with medical marijuana in Arizona and literally the day after my Pops get his card, Sessions lowered the boom.
My Dad has neuropathy in his feet, sciatica and still has pain from a recent carpal tunnel surgery. Mom’s has knee pain and wants to get off anxiety meds and sleep aids.
Marijuana and its CBD/THC concoctions are the way. 28k die per year of opioid overdose. In the 10k history of mankind and the Seven Leaf, zero fatalities.
So in the first set of Smile Jamaica Mutant Dub New Year I fight back as best I know how. Through music and riddim.
<Medical MJ in Arizona vs. Jeff Sessions; 89 sec.>
Even in conservative Utah, our governor believes that Utah Medical Marijuana is an inevitablity.
And why shouldn’t he? His name is Gary HERBert; 78 sec.
I know I have nuff aches and pains myself to qualify!
Smile Jamaica Ark-Ives: Jah-nuary 6, 2018 – Mutant Dub New Year: Annotated Playlist; 73 sec.
Set 1: Mutant Dub 4:20
- Dub Syndicate – Dubbing Is a Must; Fear of a Green Planet (Shanachie) ’98
- Creation Rebel/New Age Steppers – Chemical Specialist; Threat to Creation (Cherry Red/ON U Sound) ’81 Dub Album of the Hour
- Dry & Heavy – Kick the Bong Around; One Punch (Green Tea) ’99 Jah-pon
- Future Pigeon – The Mummy; Echodelic Sounds of Future Pigeon (Record Collect) 2005 LA – roll a lickle spliff w/ di papyrus!
<Getting high in the sarcophagi; 11 sec.>
- Martha Cinadar – Living It; Cannabis Café (Ministry) 2002
- Bob Marley – Easy Skanking; Legend Remixed (Tuff Gong) 2013 Stephen Marley dubstep rmx
- Ganja Tree – Medicine Man; 10” (I-Grow) 2006 Fr
- Ari Up – Kill Em With Love; More Dread Dan Dead (Collision) 2005 former lead singer of The Slits punk-female group
- Thievery Corporation – In Pursuit; .38 .45 (a Thievery Number); CD Single (4ad) ’98 DC dubbers
- Sizzla – Rain Showers (Bronx Dogs Mix); Dub Selector (Quango) 2001
- Tayo Meets Acid Rockers feat. PupaJim – Vampayaa; 12” (Scrub a Dub) 2010 UK
Set 3: Roots Dawtas
- Hollie Cook – Milk and Honey; Hollie Cookc (Mr. Bongo) 2011 Roots Dawta set
- Massive Attack – Five Man Army; Blue Lines (Virgin) ‘91
- Alpha & Omega feat. Dandylion – Because I Love You; Daniel In the Lion’s Den (A & O) ’90 UK trance dub
- Afro Omega – Watcha Need; Pick Up the Pieces (Afro Omega) 2006 SLC E
- Stick Figure – Fire on the Horizon; Set In Stone (Stick Figure) 2015 Duxbury, MA
- Little Annie – Bless Those; 10” (ON U Sound) ’93 UK pic sleeve
Set 5: Vinyl is Vital
- Singers & Players – Thing Called Love; Revenge of the Underdog (ON U Sound) ’82 UK vinyl set
- Soom T & Mungo’s Hi-Fi – Boom Shiva; 12” EP (Scotch Bonnet) 2013 UK picture sleeve; female weedstepper on herbtune
- New Age Steppers feat. Bim Sherman – Vice of My Enemies; Foundation Steppers (ON U Sound) ’82 UK
- Omar Perry & Carlton Livingston – Daily Bread + No Answer; No Answer EP (Deep Root) 2008 UK
- Pama International – Evening Time; Float Like a Butterfly (Asian Man) 2005 UKherb tune
- Dub Pistols – New Skank; Worshipping the Dollar (Sunday Best) 2012 UK
- Jah Shaka – Jah Jah Dub; 12” (Jah Shaka) ’81 dub to African Princess
- Kode9 & the Spaceape feat. Cha Cha – Love Is the Drug; Black Sun (Hyperdub) 2011 dubpoet w/ female vox
- Bush Chemists – Light Up Your Spliff; Light Up Your Spliff (Conscious Sounds) ’96 UK herbtune
- Tenastelin – Cosmic Session; 10” (Roots Hi-Tek) 2006 UK UFOria
Set 8: UFOria
<Cratedigging for Ancient Aliens books as well as vinyl; 42 sec.>
- Ancient Astronauts feat. Akua Naru – Last Night; Into Bass & Time (ESL) 2009 German. Dub w/ female vox. UFOria
- The Elegants – Little Star (Static Revenger Mix); Destroy All Humans! (Lakeshore) 2005 video gam soundtrack: 50’s doo wop remixed
- Flock of Seagulls – Space Age Love Song; Flock of Seagulls (Zomba) ’81 UK New Wave
- Starkey – Spacecraft; Ear Drums and Black Holes (Planet Mu) 2010 UK
- Dubadelic – Thuds Lke Skuds; Bass Invaders (WordSound) ’96: Are Aliens real?
- Alpha & Omega – The Dub Is Out There; Serious Joke (A & O) X-Files Theme
- Spiritual Rez – Let’s Go Out With a Bang; Spiritual Rez (Spiritual Rez
Words of Wisdom: